Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 33 Beta Released With Big Changes From LTO To Btrfs

Phoronix: Fedora 33 Beta Released With Big Changes From LTO To Btrfs

The beta of Fedora 33 is available this morning ahead of the official release expected at the end of October for this Red Hat sponsored Linux distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I downloaded the Silverblue Beta an hour ago and I'll be installing it over my Ubuntu 20.04 install later today. Linky since it isn't on their main page.

Comment

I wonder if Fedora will ever get rid of that horrible Anaconda installer and switch to a more modern one, and also get rid of that silly Gnome and switch to Cinnamon or Mate.

And while they're at it, shoehorn MXLinux's wonderful MX Tools and package manager.

Basically remove everything that makes it a Red Hat descendant and make it into a usable, better distro,

Comment

Originally posted by Spooktra View Post
        I wonder if Fedora will ever get rid of that horrible Anaconda installer and switch to a more modern one, and also get rid of that silly Gnome and switch to Cinnamon or Mate.

And while they're at it, shoehorn MXLinux's wonderful MX Tools and package manager.

Basically remove everything that makes it a Red Hat descendant and make it into a usable, better distro,
        You're backwards there. Red Hat is based on Fedora, not the other way around.

EDIT: And see this link on Red Hat for further clarification of that

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Now you've to add CentOS Stream Between Fedora and RHEL in that picture.

Fedora -> CentOS Stream -> Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) -> CentOS

Comment

Fedora is the best operating system I've ever used. However, Anaconda needs some work, because it's not so user friendly. Ubuntu has advantage in this case IMO.

Comment

Am I the only one getting this error while trying to update my Fedora 33 system?

Code:
              Problem 1: cannot install the best update candidate for package cldr-emoji-annotation-dtd-38.0_13.0_0_1~alpha1-1.fc33.noarch
              - nothing provides cldr-emoji-annotation = 38~beta-2.fc33 needed by cldr-emoji-annotation-dtd-1:38~beta-2.fc33.noarch
              Problem 2: package cldr-emoji-annotation-dtd-38.0_13.0_0_1~alpha1-1.fc33.noarch requires cldr-emoji-annotation = 38.0_13.0_0_1~alpha1-1.fc33, but none of the providers can be installed
              - cannot install both cldr-emoji-annotation-1:38~beta-2.fc33.noarch and cldr-emoji-annotation-38.0_13.0_0_1~alpha1-1.fc33.noarch
              - problem with installed package cldr-emoji-annotation-dtd-38.0_13.0_0_1~alpha1-1.fc33.noarch
              - cannot install the best update candidate for package cldr-emoji-annotation-38.0_13.0_0_1~alpha1-1.fc33.noarch
              - nothing provides cldr-emoji-annotation = 38~beta-2.fc33 needed by cldr-emoji-annotation-dtd-1:38~beta-2.fc33.noarch
              ================================================== ================================================== ================================================== ========
              Package Architecture Version Repository Size
              ================================================== ================================================== ================================================== ========
              Skipping packages with conflicts:
              (add '--best --allowerasing' to command line to force their upgrade):
              cldr-emoji-annotation noarch 1:38~beta-2.fc33 updates-testing 5.7 M
              Skipping packages with broken dependencies:
              cldr-emoji-annotation-dtd noarch 1:38~beta-2.fc33 updates-testing 31 k
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Yes those installers that don't even have RAID support.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

Yes those installers that don't even have RAID support.
                  Personally, I find every distribution installer lacking in one area or another. What is easy on Disto A is hard on Distro B is non-existent on Disto C. What Distro C has isn't on Disto B and is a post-install option for Distro A.

That's kind of how Linux works. Different distributions have different goals so of course their installers target different features.

I'd love it if Distro F took a page from Distro U in regards to File System Z, but I'm not gonna waste my time asking about that because Distro F has different goals than Distro U and, sometime in the future, Distro F might start using File System S made by Distro R.

Comment

The installer is modern and different. It also provides the conventional way to partition the system .

Comment

Working...
                    X