Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ADRIConf Remains The Primary GUI Control Panel For Managing Mesa OpenGL/Vulkan Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADRIConf Remains The Primary GUI Control Panel For Managing Mesa OpenGL/Vulkan Drivers

Phoronix: ADRIConf Remains The Primary GUI Control Panel For Managing Mesa OpenGL/Vulkan Drivers

While the Linux kernel graphics drivers and user-space OpenGL/Vulkan drivers expose a lot of options via sysfs on the kernel side and various environment variables and other tunables in user-space, when it comes to graphical control panels to manage these open-source graphics drivers on Linux there are several fragmented different options. For Mesa drivers, ADRIConf remains the leading option...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

After looking at the slides I do have one question:

How do you plan on continuing development after being ate by a shark?

Comment

Urgh so many double negatives

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        Urgh so many double negatives
        Yeah, the nor not being preceded be neither bothered me

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          After looking at the slides I do have one question:

How do you plan on continuing development after being ate by a shark?
          Ever heard of the movie sharknado? :troll:

Comment

Some corrections for the article itself:
            - I never worked as a GSOC student. Veluri Mithun did and I wanted to ack his great contribution to the project
            - adriconf doesn't support Vulkan yet, that is a planned feature for the future.

Comment

I really hope more updates go into this. I'm sure there are things I overlook (not related to nVidia's open source refusals[Nouveau]) that are problems in the open source area related to drivers, but as a general rule whenever asked about what the biggest missing pieces are, I don't miss a half second. It's the control panel. That's the biggest remaining problem.

We really need an intuitive, easy to use control panel like what Windows users have, the kind you sometimes see in overclocking videos or shown in new graphics card reviews. For reference, the kind like this:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14117...command-center

Last edited by ezst036; 22 September 2020, 11:31 AM.

Comment

As an AMD user, I couldn't be more disappointed that they developed and brag about a lot of features (Freesync, Frame limit, boost, image sharpening, virtual resolution, GPU scaling, etc) that cannot be enabled at all on Linux.
                As soon as I reboot from Windows to Linux, I have a severely impaired card and I cannot do anything about it.
                They should at least update their documentation and put footnotes to all these features to explain to people that they are limited to Windows only.
                I still don't understand why they still refuse to make a control panel for Linux.

Comment

I really like this application, but there is one thing that bothers me.
                  As far as I understand this only sets the settings for your system installation of mesa, while e.g. a flatpaked steam is shipped with its own graphics drivers.
                  Do these sandboxed graphics drivers have access to the settings defined via ADRICONF?

Comment

Originally posted by Mani View Post
                    I really like this application, but there is one thing that bothers me.
                    As far as I understand this only sets the settings for your system installation of mesa, while e.g. a flatpaked steam is shipped with its own graphics drivers.
                    Do these sandboxed graphics drivers have access to the settings defined via ADRICONF?
                    I never tested this as I'm not sure what is defined as $HOME under a flatpak sandbox. But it should work as long as the flatpak application has access to the home directory of the user to read the configurations.

Comment

Working...
                    X