Oracle To Stick With Solaris "11.4" For Continuous Delivery SRU Releases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracle To Stick With Solaris "11.4" For Continuous Delivery SRU Releases

Phoronix: Oracle To Stick With Solaris "11.4" For Continuous Delivery SRU Releases

With no new indications of Solaris 12 or Solaris 11.next and given the past layoffs and previous announcements from Oracle, today's statement that Solaris 11.4 will remain as their continuous delivery model with monthly SRU releases come as little surprise...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Basically it's reiterating that Solaris 11.4 will be sticking to a continuous delivery model moving forward.
    That seems to be a good enough reason to bump the version up to 12...unless they're trying to keep Oracle Solaris low-key so companies will focus more on Oracle Linux.

Sidenote: Did anyone else ROFL when they saw the news saying that Oracle and Walmart are buying into TikTok to keep it available in America?

Because I know that I totally trust Walmart, one of the main companies that got laws passed to move our manufacturing jobs to China so I could save 3 cents on underwear and directly made China the threat they are, to be accountable with random peoples' private data and to not sell our data off to the highest bidder like Facebook and Google do.

Comment

My heyday for Solaris was 2.3 running on a Sparc 10

Comment

Looks more and more like Solaris is dead. The fact that Oracle killed its open source community (and does a lot of harm to Java as well) is clearly related to this.

Comment

Is solaris more dead than illumos or is it the other way around?

Comment

Well the slides seem to suggest this release of Solaris 11 will be around well past 2030. I might mention that this is longer than any specific commercial Linux distro I have seen.

RHEL is close: https://access.redhat.com/sites/defa...planning_0.png

Yes, they wont have the latest "web browser" but that is hardly a problem for the kinds of companies that would purchase a Solaris stack.

My prediction... Solaris 11 will outlive Wayland
            Last edited by kpedersen; 21 September 2020, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
              My prediction... Solaris 11 will outlive Wayland
              The only thing one can be sure Solaris won't ever get Wayland.

Comment

What is their current system compiler? How does Solaris handle compiler updates?

Comment

Originally posted by pipe13 View Post
                  What is their current system compiler? How does Solaris handle compiler updates?
                  • You can grab GCC off the ips package repo. At least 4.9
                  • You can install GCC from OpenCSW. At least version 5.x
                  • You can install SUNPro from IPS (once you have set up the Oracle repo).
                  • I also compile up my own Clang (for Emscripten). Version 8 is the last version I tried.
                  As for updates, the CSW and IPS system provide their own update mechanism, like most other package managers. The IPS is admittedly a little awkward due to no access to the support repo without a commercial subscription. https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E77782_01...785/gouaw.html
                  Last edited by kpedersen; 21 September 2020, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dreich View Post
                    Is solaris more dead than illumos or is it the other way around?
                    Neither has a bright future.

Oracle has clearly put Solaris into maintenance mode after firing most of their Solaris staff, canceling the Solaris 12 release, and now just limping along with 11.4 forever. Not to mention that Oracle has halted SPARC development after M8 in 2017, signaling a lack of investment in the overall Solaris ecosystem. They aren't going after new customers, they are just milking trapped^W existing customers for as long as they can while spending as little as possible.

Illumos has lost significant momentum, OmniTI went out of business in 2017, Delphix switched to Linux in 2018 (resulting in very little ZFS development from Illumos after that), and Joyent closed their public cloud in 2019 while also losing (or laying off) a lot of developers. I doubt illumos has more than 15 regular contributors, and I'd be surprised if that increases with time.

Comment

Working...
                    X