Open-Source Vivante Driver In Some Cases Outperforming Proprietary Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source Vivante Driver In Some Cases Outperforming Proprietary Driver

Phoronix: Open-Source Vivante Driver In Some Cases Outperforming Proprietary Driver

One of the less talked about open-source graphics drivers talked about is Etnaviv as the reverse-engineered, community-based driver providing OpenGL/GLES support for Vivante graphics IP. While it's still working towards OpenGL ES 3.0 compliance, its performance is currently in some cases competitive -- and even outperforming -- the Vivante proprietary driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wish i.MX8 hardware was more exciting. I actually have an unused Pico-Pi iMX8M (2GB ram model), that I bought as a spare, sitting on my shelf, but its HDMI support and power management is bad enough that I actively choose to avoid the pain of using it, and have since bought 3 Rpis (all 4GB ram).

I've had good experience with i.MX6 hardware (Nitrogen6x), but the Nitrogen8M is only available with 2GB ram, and it's only a Quad A53. The Pi 4 has made a lot of boards seem obsolete.
    Last edited by andreano; 21 September 2020, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post
      I wish i.MX8 hardware was more exciting. I actually have an unused Pico-Pi iMX8M (2GB ram model), that I bought as a spare, sitting on my shelf, but its HDMI support and power management is bad enough that I actively choose to avoid the pain of using it, and have since bought 3 Rpis (all 4GB ram).
      Power management and HDMI with iMX8M on mainline kernel is getting better as we speak. I see that myself from the perspective of Librem 5 and it has seen really significant improvements in those areas this year. Purism's kernel fork has shrunk a lot in 5.7-5.9 cycles.

Comment

That's why I love free & open source software!
        Last edited by piorunz; 22 September 2020, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X