Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMDGPU TMZ + HDCP Should Allow Widevine DRM To Behave Nicely With AMD Linux Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
    AMD doesn't have the time to create a control panel for Linux, but if has to time de develop DRM crap that no one wants ???
    Fuck DRM and the ones that are supporting this anti-user / guilty-until-proven-innocent technology !
    The usual non helpful and rather uninformed rant. Sandy did do right clarifying the business case. But why the hell do you care for a control panel? I never missed that, I don't even use that on my gameloader (aka windows). Do you really use it there? For what reasons?

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

The usual non helpful and rather uninformed rant. Sandy did do right clarifying the business case. But why the hell do you care for a control panel? I never missed that, I don't even use that on my gameloader (aka windows). Do you really use it there? For what reasons?
      What uninformed rant ?
      They want to restrict my freedom and consume more of the processing and electrical power on useless stuff because some private companies like Netflix think that I'm a criminal.
      How the fuck is DRM is in favor of the user ?
      I've been burned by DRM on stuff that I buyed and I hate it, it's a simple fact

And unlike you, I want a control panel because I want to control my GPU and choosing just the resolution and refresh rate is not enough to me.
      I want to be able to enable or disable more of the features that the GPU advertises.

Just because you don't need it it doesn't meant that others don't also.

Comment

Originally posted by Danniello View Post

Yes and no.

Netflix has some strange deal with Microsoft that only IE/Edge browser could play 1080p (and more) resolution, so officially will nothing change even with HDCP support in Linux.

Good news is that this artificial 720p limitation could be easily bypassed. 1080p could be "unlocked" with addon for Firefox (https://addons.mozilla.org/pl/firefo...1080p-firefox/) or via plugin in Kodi.

The problem is that many materials require HDCP protection that is not available in Linux - so resolution is blocked to about ~480p/540p and this limitation cannot be bypassed by addon. For bigger resolution - HDCP support in Linux is needed (or cracked version of Widevine DRM, but even if such crack exists - no one will publish it because Google will update/fix Widevine in short time).
        threre is no deal, windows has its own DRM technology `playready` that is used for 1080p playback, Kodi can't play netflix at 1080p at linux via widevine couse VMP is required, it means that app has to be signed by google,

in my country every iptv/ott provider is using some kind of DRM so my HTPC has to run android couse with linux its just crappy brick

Comment

Nobody forces you to use a certain feature that you don't need or want to use.
          Linux is also about choice. If people want to use a streaming service with their linux device instead of being stuck with the public broadcasting services that might not require PlayReady or Widevine, let them.
          I am looking forward to get higher resolutions and more services that work on my kodi box.

Comment

What uninformed rant ?
            *cough*

next one follows suit:

They want to restrict my freedom and consume more of the processing and electrical power on useless stuff because some private companies like Netflix think that I'm a criminal.
            To restrict something, you need to change some existing conditions to more narrow ones. Well, (by normal means) today you can't play any HDCP protected content, because they won't let you. After integrating this, you might be able to playback HDCP protected content on the very same hardware. The restrictions are not happening now, they've happened long time ago.

And you can assume: If you don't want to use it, well it will use neither your processing power nor your electricity.

This is what I call an uniformed rant.

Most times it isn't, but it allowed to establish some newer business models, where without DRM parties wouldn'T have come to an agreement and we would still be shipping DVDs/CDs and all that stuff around the world.

That happened to quite a few people betting on the wrong horses, but this is not the topic here.

And unlike you, I want a control panel because I want to control my GPU and choosing just the resolution and refresh rate is not enough to me.
            I want to be able to enable or disable more of the features that the GPU advertises.
            Examples?

Just because you don't need it it doesn't meant that others don't also.
            No, surely not. But it might also be the other way around: You telling us you need it doesn't mean others need it. We need to put some proof into this. So, what features do you need. Please name some specific and useful functions you want to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Hibbelharry View Post

No, surely not. But it might also be the other way around: You telling us you need it doesn't mean others need it. We need to put some proof into this. So, what features do you need. Please name some specific and useful functions you want to see.
              GPU scaling, Freesync, Anti-lag, Radeon boost, Radeon Image Sharpening, Super virtual resolution, Frame limit, 0-RPM because I don't useless noise.

Without the frame limit feature and 0-RPM feature the GPU for sure consumes more power than on Windows.

Why should I have this disadvantage when I'm using Linux ?

I understand that you don't care or you're happy with it but I'm not.

Comment

Originally posted by sorien View Post

threre is no deal, windows has its own DRM technology `playready` that is used for 1080p playback, Kodi can't play netflix at 1080p at linux via widevine couse VMP is required, it means that app has to be signed by google,

in my country every iptv/ott provider is using some kind of DRM so my HTPC has to run android couse with linux its just crappy brick
                Not true. 1080p (and more) is available via Widevine. Kodi could play Netflix 1080p in Linux (of course only materials that do not require HDCP - for example Netflix Dark series).

Comment

GPU scaling, Freesync, Anti-lag, Radeon boost, Radeon Image Sharpening, Super virtual resolution, Frame limit, 0-RPM because I don't useless noise.

Without the frame limit feature and 0-RPM feature the GPU for sure consumes more power than on Windows.

Why should I have this disadvantage when I'm using Linux ?

I understand that you don't care or you're happy with it but I'm not.
                  I think the disconnect here is that it takes more than just a control panel to deliver those features - we have to implement them in the driver first, and that's where most of the work is. A control panel is only going to help in cases where we already have driver support and real time control via sysfs or another mechanism, and you just want a graphical control added on top.
                  Last edited by bridgman; 22 September 2020, 12:08 AM.
                  Test signature

Comment

There is a yes and no to this. Parties wanting DRM forced browser plugins like silverlight and flash on people of course these extensions were not highly secure.

DRM I agree is not consumer friendly in most cases. I would like to see DRM solutions be nothing closed source in cpu memory. The closed source DRM solutions in cpu memory end up being the source of complete system exploits over and over again. AMD solution here were its in the GPU if now the open source DRM option could support this and we could convince media vendors to use it we would reduce security risk.

Of course these DRM solutions don't stop someone connecting a HDMI capture device with HDCP support and recording the output those items don't cost much.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

I think the disconnect here is that it takes more than just a control panel to deliver those features - we have to implement them in the driver first, and that's where most of the work is. A control panel is only going to help in cases where we already have driver support and real time control via sysfs or another mechanism, and you just want a graphical control added on top.
                      True.
                      The reason that I want AMD to make a control panel for Linux is indeed more to have those features developed in the driver so even if AMD doesn't have the time to develop a fancy control panel, someone else can make a simple control panel if the features are already implemented and there's an API interface available.
                      I guess that there are quite a few developers who would like to do this part and me as a user I don't care how bad it would look visually as long as it works.
                      It can even be one page only window with buttons, sliders, drop-downs and an OK button.
                      And I don't expect all the features to be available from day one, one at at time would be fine too.

Comment

Working...
                      X