Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenZFS 2.0-RC2 Released With Dozens Of Fixes

Phoronix: OpenZFS 2.0-RC2 Released With Dozens Of Fixes

Nearly one month ago OpenZFS 2.0 saw its first release candidate while now it's been succeeded by another test candidate in time for some weekend exposure...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"got phoronix bench?"

- a tshirt

Comment

I'd say It's great idea. Well, T-shirt ofc.

Comment

Cool. Can't wait for cross platform ZFS to leave the RC status.

Does anybody know why was 1.0 skipped?

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          Cool. Can't wait for cross platform ZFS to leave the RC status.

Does anybody know why was 1.0 skipped?
          Probably because the last release was called "ZFS on Linux" 0.8.4, and there already was an OpenZFS project (which was just a mirror of illumos), so this isn't technically the first major release of OpenZFS.

Comment

I want to ask & confirm something:
            Since "Open ZFS" is not GPL 2. It can never come in the mainline Linux kernel.
            Am I correct?

Comment

Trying to use my journalistic skills to background this story. Wikipedia as usual is out of date, and the entries there do not really meet Wikipedia standards. Seems that The Private Source capitalists have not yet harassed Ubuntu for trying closed source ZFS: " ... As of 2019, no legal challenge has been brought against Canonical ... ". Updating the Wikipedia entries is beyond my skills as one of thousands of Wikipedia editors.
              Another lay person might find the YouTube video interesting. The video concludes that home users might prefer BTRFS. If ZFS is needed, perhaps BSD rather than Linux, for the moment.
              > "File Systems | Which One is the Best? ZFS, BTRFS, or EXT4", Published Jan 20, 2020, by "Chris Titus Tech", 12m 06s
              > "Let's go over File Systems in this video. We will determine which one is the best ZFS, BTRFS, and EXT4. ... ".

Independent bench tests here on Phoronix indicate that BTRFS is not as fast as the simpler partition types: EXT4 & NTFS. Whether ZFS or openZFS can do better than BTRFS probably needs testing.

Comment

I use both: btrfs on the laptops/desktops/workstations and openzfs (on linux) on the servers.
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by pranav View Post
                  Am I correct?
                  Yes and no. The OpenZFS parts that interface with the Linux kernel (Solaris Porting Layer, SPL) are GPL. Those could be upstreamed but pretty sure the kernel devs don't want to.

Comment

Originally posted by pranav View Post
                    Am I correct?
                    Yes, ZFS is CDDL license, kernel is GPL, and GPL is incompatible with CDDL.

This does not stop anyone from offering it as a loadable module though, like Ubuntu is doing, like Proxmox and TrueNAS Scale (Debian-based TrueNAS) and others do.

Comment

Working...
                    X