Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

V3DV Developers Lay Out Plans For Upstreaming The Raspberry Pi 4 Vulkan Driver In Mesa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V3DV Developers Lay Out Plans For Upstreaming The Raspberry Pi 4 Vulkan Driver In Mesa

Phoronix: V3DV Developers Lay Out Plans For Upstreaming The Raspberry Pi 4 Vulkan Driver In Mesa

Building off the V3DV driver talk at XDC2020 about this open-source Vulkan driver for the Raspberry Pi 4 driver, the Igalia developers responsible for this creation have laid out their plans on getting this driver upstream within Mesa...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why are some drivers developed from scratch inside Mesa and others are merged once they're complete?

Comment

Interested, in due course, in seeing the the performance of these drivers (obviously first working drivers will put reliability above performance, and have optimisations in the future) compared to OpenGL on the same games, where possible.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        Why are some drivers developed from scratch inside Mesa and others are merged once they're complete?
        Up to the developers working on the code.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
          which vulkan driver was developend from scratch inside mesa?

Comment

Originally posted by sykobee View Post
            Interested, in due course, in seeing the the performance of these drivers (obviously first working drivers will put reliability above performance, and have optimisations in the future) compared to OpenGL on the same games, where possible.
            it's not possible to compare different apis on same game. even if game supports two apis, it's really two games and one can be better written than other. i.e. you can compare, but you can't compare drivers in isolation

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              which vulkan driver was developend from scratch inside mesa?
              https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/...eedreno/vulkan

Comment

i guess "from scratch inside mesa" is open for interpretation

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  i guess "from scratch inside mesa" is open for interpretation
                  I mean, when it was first merged, I think some simple spinning triangle demo worked, and that was about it. So yeah, basically all the development happened upstream.

Comment

Working...
                  X