Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.20 Beta Released With Better Wayland Support

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.20 Beta Released With Better Wayland Support

If GNOME 3.38 isn't your cup of tea, you may be interested in trying out the beta of the forthcoming KDE Plasma 5.20 desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

KDE will be my cup of tea once they remove/replace Plasma. I hate it with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      KDE will be my cup of tea once they remove/replace Plasma. I hate it with passion.
      May I ask why?

Comment

Did they solve the incessantly search for updates both in systray and every time I open Discover to install or uninstall something, even though I have disabled the automatic updates ?
        It's really annoying to see this attitude with "Let's check for updates for you because you're too stupid to manually do it" and no way to turn it off.
        I thought that Linux was about freedom including freedom of choice, not Windows 10 crap.

AS for:
        GTK headerbar apps now respect the appearance you've chosen for your titlebar buttons
        I have changed my windows decorations by installing a decoration called Windows-K10 so I can have big rectangle-shape windows control buttons like in Windows because I don't like the default small round ones too much since I'm slower to click them.
        Does this change mean that from now on some badly written GTK programs like Remmina and Wraith Master for example will stop changing the windows control buttons to the default small round ones and display the ones that I have chose like all the other apps ?

Comment

You can now middle-click to paste (at least in KDE apps; GTK apps do not implement this yet)
          Does this mean that GTK apps do not implement middle-click paste with Wayland at all or is this only for Plasma ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mthw View Post

May I ask why?
            1) Monolithic design
            2) High CPU/RAM use
            3) Crashing plasmoids, crashing plasma
            4) Plasmoids which only work on the desktop (I never have my desktop open: I work with applications not with my desktop) and cannot be properly embedded in the task bar
            5) Counter-intuitive UI

Here's my XFCE task bar. Tell me how can I achieve the same with Plasma.

Comment

5) Counter-intuitive UI

Here's my XFCE task bar.
              lol a bit contradictory there.

Comment

1) Monolithic design
                2) High CPU/RAM use
                4) Plasmoids which only work on the desktop (I never have my desktop open: I work with applications not with my desktop) and cannot be properly embedded in the task bar
                5) Counter-intuitive UI

2) Are you sure about this ?
                I have not experienced high CPU / RAM usage for a long time and every time I look in Ksysguard or htop, Plasma has very low usage.
                I may argue that the RAM usage is actually too low for my liking, every time I used it on a flash drive the RAM usage usage is about 500 MB, but almost nothing is cached in RAM, so opening the Start menu, Konsole or Dolphin is very slow, probably because of the slow read speed of the flash drive compared to how it would've been if it was cached in RAM.
                This is pretty disappointing to me, to boot from flash drive in a 8 or 16 GB or RAM laptop and see that the RAM is barely used while opening common used stuff like start menu, terminal and file manager is slow.

3) I don't remember when it was last time when I saw this,
                4-5) No sure what you mean by this, I have embedded a few things into the taskbar very easily by dragging them there, but mostly the weather widget and a load indicator.
                Don't know about all the others you want to put there, but the printscreen you posted looks more or less doable with Plasma.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  2) Are you sure about this ?
                  Fedora 32, default KDE install, boot, log in, run Konsole, run `top`, check `plasma` process: it will eat around 300MB of RAM (RES, not VIRT) with zero plasmoids (except the default ones) and its CPU use will be far above 0%. I didn't have this issue with KDE 3.5. I don't have this issue with XFCE: it's 100% idle and barely registers in top unless you're interacting with it.

4-5) can you rereplicate my setup? No? Then what are you talking about?

CPU/network use plasmoids are truly horrible. There are no plasmoids to show a command output. There are no plasmoids to monitor (lm-)sensors as much as I want to.

Comment

1) Monolithic design
                    2) High CPU/RAM use
                    5) Counter-intuitive UI

1) I don't know what your definition of "monolithic" is, but...sure. It's no different than the GNOME desktop process. It allows for plugins and plasmoids.
                    2) No. On my Arch KDE desktop the only thing that uses a lot of CPU is applications. Usually Chrome, Firefox or Teams. Xorg or konsole shows up too. If you're running Baloo or the Indexer (Nepomuk) or whatever it is you can get some high CPU when it's doing its thing, but unless there is a bug that will go away once it's done unless you have a LOT of files constantly changing in which case you'd want to block that dir from being processed. Otherwise...KDE just sits in the background and works.
                    3) I think Network manager crashed on me once or twice. This tends to be fixed quickly either by the distro or upstream. It's certainly not anymore buggy or crashy than any other application or DE.
                    4) Plenty of plasmoids or widgets work in the toolbar. I don't know what you define as a "plasmoid".
                    5) 100% an opinion. I think the UI is great and everything is roughly where you'd expect it to be, especially if you're used to XFCE. Personally, I think GNOME is a fustercluck of a UI, but that's my opinion and I don't use it enough to get used to it. I've always used KDE or lighter DEs or WMs. ie: i3, WindowMaker, XFCE, LXQT or Lumina.

Comment

Working...
                    X