Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Shows First Glimpse Of Radeon RX 6000 Series Graphics Card

Phoronix: AMD Shows First Glimpse Of Radeon RX 6000 Series Graphics Card

Ahead of the RDNA 2 / Navi 2 reveal on October 28, AMD has shown off the first official render of a Radeon RX 6000 series graphics card...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Two 8-pin PCI Express power connectors ?
    WTF, how much is this GPU consuming ?
    I would rather pay upfront more for a GPU with faster and more efficient HBM2 memory than slowly paying more in electricity price for a slower memory type and performance.
    Sad to see more and more evidence that RDNA 2 will be a disappointing release.

Comment

"Navy Floundy". sounds fishy.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        I would rather pay upfront more for a GPU with faster and more efficient HBM2 memory than slowly paying more in electricity price for a slower memory type and performance.
        Kids these days, always complaining...

Comment

350W from the nvidia side doesn't sound power efficient. I sure hope this consumes less.

And on Fortnite, they showed the cards video outputs, its 1xHDMI 2xFullDP and 1xUSB-C.

Comment

Originally posted by brunosalezze View Post
            350W from the nvidia side doesn't sound power efficient. I sure hope this consumes less.

And on Fortnite, they showed the cards video outputs, its 1xHDMI 2xFullDP and 1xUSB-C.
            Being a Linux user, I don't care about Nvidia at all, I never look at their products.
            But I was comparing this with Radeon VII which has the same two 8-pin power connectors and a TDP around 300W, but that one is a monster in performance, especially in compute because of its HBM memory type.

I expected AMD to be able to beat its 3-years old GPU with the new one, but it looks like my expectations are too high.

Comment

Being a Linux user, I don't care about Nvidia at all, I never look at their products.
              But I was comparing this with Radeon VII which has the same two 8-pin power connectors and a TDP around 300W, but that one is a monster in performance, especially in compute because of its HBM memory type.

I expected AMD to be able to beat its 3-years old GPU with the new one, but it looks like my expectations are too high.
              Benchmarks are showing the newer GPUs performing around the same as a Geforce 2080 TI. No one is sure if that's the Big Navi GPU or not; Navi21 or Navi22. If it's 22 pushing those numbers then it's about to be really, really interesting. If it's 21 pushing those numbers then that's interesting, but expected.

Either way it looks to be a significant upgrade if you own a VII.

Comment

Exactly. Novideo has no useful Linux drivers. If only nouveau wasn't such a joke.

Comment

8+8 is a very common design, if have looked top tier cards during the last decade.

Comment

Danny3 you should consider nvidia especially for compute. CUDA is way ahead for general purpose compute; ROCm is catching up .. slowly.
                    Of course, dont run your desktop (if you have one) on your compute cards (use iGPU or small AMD card).

Regarding Radeon VII, that is considered by most people a failed experiment. It had a really good memory concept but could not leverage it. The following RDNA cards made the Radeon VII already obsolete. Assuming AMD can deliver on expectation, next gen will be really good.

Comment

Working...
                    X