Checkpoint/Restore Of Unprivileged Processes Sent In For Linux 5.9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checkpoint/Restore Of Unprivileged Processes Sent In For Linux 5.9

Phoronix: Checkpoint/Restore Of Unprivileged Processes Sent In For Linux 5.9

Linux 5.9 is bringing another feature that's long been baking and of interest to a growing number of stakeholders... checkpoint/restore functionality of unprivileged processes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's very neat. This should allow saving an application's current state so you can shut down and then power up again and find the same applications in the same state after you login, so the "save session on shutdown" functionality of DEs can actually work with all applications and not just the simpler ones.

Comment

Basically, this is hibernation, but not for all processes, but rather a selection thereof. Seems very promising.

Comment

X11/Wayland support would be nice. Good job

Comment

I hope desktop environments start using this in some form.

It would be great to have a pseudo-hibernation feature when I can completely shut down my workstation but I would still find all of my applications in the same state next morning when I fire up the beast (especially IntelliJ Idea and similar which take quite some time to restore to the state I leave them).

It would also give some unbelievable capabilities to Kubernetes and alike. E.g.: they could live-migrate container workloads between nodes when the need arises.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
            That's very neat.
            Checkpoint/restart was a feature in the mid-1960's IBM Mainframe area that could be especially valuable for long running processes to handle either system failures or the need to start higher priority activity. Everything that is old is all new again.

Comment

See also DMTCP and Cryopid used to be a thing. It's even possible to save X11 apps to disk and restore them after a reboot. If you want to be able to restore it on a different machine then it's best to run it in a container or VM, snapshot the VM, then migrate it to the new host.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow
                Why do you have to put a YouTube video for this!!!

Who wants privacy invasion!!!

I am not checking this article for that!
                WTF are you complaining about, all articles have trackers from Google, Facebook and Twitter anyway.

Get uBlock Origin addon if you care about privacy invasion.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  WTF are you complaining about, all articles have trackers from Google, Facebook and Twitter anyway.

Get uBlock Origin addon if you care about privacy invasion.
                  I already blocked them at DNS level, except YouTube which I still use (in private tabs)

Sorry I was just burning out

I lost anyway, you want me to not block it fully, like let them be able to phone home and yeah.
                  Last edited by tildearrow; 04 August 2020, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    Sorry I was just burning out
                    because you waste your time reinventing the wheel when you can have a plugin keep the situation under control automatically.
                    Btw, it is opensource https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock

Comment

Working...
                    X