Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by goTouch View Post
    It is cool that Rust helps people write better code
    I would suggest that people are not writing better code in Rust (although the language does provide some syntax to improve code), but the code they write is better protected against unanticipated processing. One can argue about the numbers, but memory safety is a real problem with real code (one recent estimate is 70% of security issues are related to memory safety), and Rust eliminates an entire class of real world of memory safety issues. Eliminating those 70% can only mean a more secure kernel, even if limited to a specific subset of the kernel

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post

Well it has worked very well in practice(not perfect) considering is probably one of the most stable projects around while been this massive, also Linus don't work alone, he has a whole tree of maintainers that filter a lot of the crappy code too
      The stability improved through systematic efforts like adding unit, fuzzers and so forth. Regressions weren't uncommon at all in prior releases including large amount of discussions about how Linus doesn't scale or can't possibly understand all the bits. A couple of references

In a wide-ranging interview at Open Source Summit, Torvalds talked about programmers, Linux, and open-source development.

There is any one person eyeing all of the code and catching bugs, even including subsystem maintainers. Instead systematic efforts are part of why there is a strong interest in moving to a language like Rust because it addresses more of the issues with language features

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
        What if we just wrote good C code instead?
        Every C programmer for the last 42 years:

Comment

Originally posted by Templar82 View Post
          What if we just wrote good C code instead?
          Congratulations, you just missed the point completely. It's not just about "writing good code". Much more importantly, it's about being able to PROVE that the code is good. Rust makes that easy, C makes it strictly impossible.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post
            That is the very definition of a gcc-ism. It is non-standard. And while for experimental purposes it might be useful under the appropriate "ACCEPT-NONSTANDARD" flag, it is ultimately broken. Get it into the standard, or abandon it. There is zero excuse to not standardize except it you intentionally want to be special in order to be special (in other words, you quite explicitly do not want to play well with others).
            You realize must of that code is 30+ years old and that literally every compiler have custom extension outside the standard hence "Extensions" starting with the mother of all out of spec compilers Intel Compiler and Microsoft VC? damn, i think even Borland Turbo C had extensions all over the place even when it was the golden standard of compilers.

The only reason you realize GCC had those extension is because you can compile Linux yourself, if you get hold of the NT kernel 6.2(win10) from Microsoft and tried to compile it with Clang, you probably would have to rewrite half of the damn thing just to make it compile(not cleanly) because literally every kernel have specifics that only exist on its preferred compiler, this is/was also true for Solaris(non FOSS Sun Days), old BSD's, MacOS, BeOS(back in the day), Plan9, etc.

I can almost guarantee money that Apple Clang have custom extension for MacOS current kernels as well, simply because kernels are so low level and unique cases that is very tough to work only with the standards because the fact it is an standard doesn't make 100% usable for 100% of the use cases and put new things into those standard could take years(and you are seeing some of that work paying off now)

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

The stability improved through systematic efforts like adding unit, fuzzers and so forth. Regressions weren't uncommon at all in prior releases including large amount of discussions about how Linus doesn't scale or can't possibly understand all the bits. A couple of references

In a wide-ranging interview at Open Source Summit, Torvalds talked about programmers, Linux, and open-source development.

There is any one person eyeing all of the code and catching bugs, even including subsystem maintainers. Instead systematic efforts are part of why there is a strong interest in moving to a language like Rust because it addresses more of the issues with language features
              Again, faults and all no other project this size has survived that long with such high level of thrust(even in the ages of the first windows NT releases, Linux was highly respected by its security) and even today Linux even tho had faults weren't even near the level of Microsoft or Apple. Also those changes are very fairly recent.

So compared to your ideal world, sure it may not be perfect but in the real world has worked Extremely well(again nothing is perfect) for 30 years, so i take Linus and his eyes until someone can prove other method can be better with hard data not wishes.

And here comes my point, I get Rust is the new hot thing but i have lived through a lot of hot new things that were going to change the world(Trust me TM) and guess what C/C++ didn't even notice them and still going strong and like a lot of hot new things before it, Rust simply don't have enough strength or backing to even be compared in the same class as C/C++. I do agree Rust provide some interesting new concepts that could expanded and used in the future but right now is a lot of wishes, nice ideas and assumptions and Linus is not the kinda guy is going to be crazy about it.

And to drive it home, main consumer(that anyone give a damn of) of Rust is Mozilla atm and honestly WebRender(the Rust poster boy) is not faster than Chrome C++ equiv, is not that much more stable(at least in my experience Chromium crash a lot less than Firefox with WebRender) it doesn't use that much less memory, it doesn't provide new unique features, it has not proven to improve development speed in any form or shape since Firefox is still miles behind Chromium and WebRender itself isn't feature complete compared to Chromium equivalents and honestly the security argument is mostly theoretical at this point since Rust don't have enough mileage or is widespread enough to do any assertion.

Don't get me wrong i get and know all the cool things RUST propose but is damn way too soon to even try go into the kernel, i think the best solution would be take some years consolidating itself on user space, getting big projects, showing tangible improvements, gaining developer support(probably that syntax will have to change, for anyone that didn't learn to code whatching youtube JS videos, is horrible, borderline unmaintainable) then you can be a contender.

Comment

I am wondering why not ada? It is more robust and readable than rust.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

Well, [python] already is (sort of) in a number of the tooling and profiling directories (but those are not part of the running kernel)..

numbers for Kernel 5.4.51
                  find ./* -type f | perl -pe 's/.*[\.\/]//g' | sort | uniq -c | sort -rn | grep -vP " \d "
                  27632 c
                  22534 h
                  4028 txt
                  2514 Makefile
                  2119 rst
                  1794 dts
                  1451 Kconfig
                  1316 S
                  1291 dtsi
                  443 sh
                  313 json
                  237 gitignore
                  188 yaml
                  122 Kbuild
                  105 py
                  86 tc
                  81 config
                  70 TODO
                  69 Build
                  63 cocci
                  57 svg
                  51 README
                  44 boot
                  43 pl
                  34 Platform
                  32 litmus
                  29 debug
                  20 tbl
                  19 conf
                  16 lds
                  14 fuc
                  14 cfg
                  13 dot
                  12 fuc3
                  11 ppm
                  11 asn1
                  10 xsl
                  10 exceptions
                  10 1

Comment

There are god reasons to get away from C, however I don't see this proposal as well planned and thus should be discarded.

It would be far better to port / fork Linux to Rust and then develop / port, all the tools required to effectively deliver Rust code into the kernel. "hey lets use another language" sounds great but we are likely years off before they could have all the tooling place to do it properly.

Comment

The only person who you have to convince is Linus and I doubt he's interested or we would have heard so by now.

Comment

Working...
                      X