H.266/VVC Standard Finalized With ~50% Lower Size Compared To H.265

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sykobee View Post
    Would be interesting to see an article tracking the generated file sizes of all the video compression algorithms from back in the day, although MPEG1,2 probably can't do 4K and these newer ones are probably more efficient at the higher resolutions. I'm constantly amazed at each generation's advances.

"the previous standard H.265/HEVC requires ca. 10 gigabytes of data to transmit a 90-min UHD video. With this new technology, only 5 gigabytes of data are required to achieve the same quality."

Looks like we can move back to plain old DVD as a storage medium from BluRay!
    Well, pirates are already releasing H265 UHD movies small enough to fit on a DVD-9, but who is still using physical media anyway? When I buy a movie on a physical medium, the first thing I do is copying it before the medium fails.
    Last edited by ALRBP; 06 July 2020, 10:13 AM.

Comment

More patent licensing bullshit from the folks that brought us Mp3.
      The timeline is a mess if you take into account hardware decoding requirements for any new codec.
      It's also probably a dead end as only online streaming might use it and I doubt many setup boxes (roku through cable boxes) will be lining up to support it. Plus physical media is dying and a new format UHD+ would be needed for players.

Comment

I mean, I think that video compression has come pretty far all things considered. We can now fit good quality 1080p content on a DVD.

Comment

Originally posted by article
          the successor to H.265/HEVC
          There are two* successors. The other is EVC. It has a royalty-free subset, and it should also be finished pretty soon.

*Or 3 if you count LCEVC.
          Last edited by andreano; 06 July 2020, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            ~50% lower size means ~50% more power to decode it, and ~150% more power to encode it?
            encoding is not terribly relevant

Comment

I don't quite understand all these arguments about physical media getting irrelevant and stuff. Video needs to compressed, regardless of the medium. Your Netflix stream is also compressed in H.265, for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                ~50% lower size means ~50% more power to decode it, and ~150% more power to encode it?
                The target for all of these standards is (eventually) dedicated hardware implementations that can perform the (especially) decode in reasonable power (and silicon) envelopes. The dedicated VPUs (Video Processing Units) that typically exist as part of the general purpose GPU complex just take time to happen (no one finalizes their silicon until the standard is published, although FPGA implementations tend to be used as early proof of concept implementations). Software implementations will certainly happen first, both as the initial prototypes, and also to be used as a bridge for older devices until new devices start to include the hardware implementations of newer standards. All of these standards have to be looked at in the long term view, and things always take longer than some want.

Comment

Originally posted by ALRBP View Post
                  I see no reason why MPEG1-2 could not be used for 4K.
                  Well, the concepts might be able to be used, but the standards do not support 4K resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

Well, the concepts might be able to be used, but the standards do not support 4K resolution.
                    As I said in my post, I just used MPEG-2 to encode a 4K60 video, so it definitely works.

Comment

Originally posted by Ipkh View Post
                      More patent licensing bullshit from the folks that brought us Mp3.
                      MP3 was brilliant when released. Even today it's still hard to beat.
                      Originally posted by Ipkh View Post
                      The timeline is a mess if you take into account hardware decoding requirements for any new codec.
                      It's also probably a dead end as only online streaming might use it and I doubt many setup boxes (roku through cable boxes) will be lining up to support it. Plus physical media is dying and a new format UHD+ would be needed for players.
                      It's not a dead end as long as it gives content providers another way of lowering their bills

Comment

Working...
                      X