Frame-Buffer Compression Support For Vintage Intel i865 Graphics Revived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame-Buffer Compression Support For Vintage Intel i865 Graphics Revived

Phoronix: Frame-Buffer Compression Support For Vintage Intel i865 Graphics Revived

Back in April I wrote about patches for enabling FBC on the Intel 865 chipset nearly two decades after that chipset first shipped. Those patches didn't yet hit the mainline Linux kernel but they were revived again this week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Really o-o

I didn't even think that this GMA-era hardware had FBC?...

...does Intel740 have it too? ;p

Comment

And here I was thinking that kernel-folk was on a killing spree towards anything older than their last generation of machines...

Comment

Noob here, how to confirm whether I am using "Vintage Intel i865" or not? Because I think I am using that but don't know for sure.
        And I think this is great news for me.

Distro, I am using: Ubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
          And here I was thinking that kernel-folk was on a killing spree towards anything older than their last generation of machines...
          I am waiting for some Linux release in 1 or 2 years that marks this code "OBSOLETE - DELETE - NOBODY USES IT"

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post

NOBODY USES IT"
            Nope. I have such machine.

Comment

Originally posted by pranav View Post
              Noob here, how to confirm whether I am using "Vintage Intel i865" or not? Because I think I am using that but don't know for sure.
              And I think this is great news for me.

Distro, I am using: Ubuntu 20.04
              Why are you posting the distro, this is a hardware thing.
              The hardware affected by this change is in the "springdale" chipsets of Intel Socket 775 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ium_4_chipsets

What is the motherboard model? You can also check online what chipset your motherboard has.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
                I'm confident that this feature is totally broken on this hardware and enalbing the feature will get reverted eventually as bug reports come in

Comment

Originally posted by pranav View Post
                  If your PC dates from around 2003-2005, has a Pentium 4 processor and has no PCI Express slots then it could be i865-based.

Open a terminal and do:
                  Code:
                  sudo lspci | grep VGA
                  Look for a line like:
                  Code:
                  00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
                  in the output. (This is an example from my old 865-based system. I've got an 855-based laptop too, which would also be affected by this. I'll probably try it out just to see what happens.)

If it shows something other than an 82852, 82855 or 82865 as the VGA controller then you're not affected. If you're using an AMD/ATI or Nvidia graphics card instead of the onboard graphics then it also doesn't apply to you, regardless of whether you have an 865-family chip in the system.

Comment

Originally posted by molletts View Post
                    Open a terminal and do:
                    Code:
                    sudo lspci | grep VGA
                    Code:
                    pranav@exam ~> sudo lspci | grep VGA
                    [sudo] password for pranav:
                    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 5500 (rev 09)
                    This means this news won't be any beneficial for me. My laptop don't any NVIDIA or AMD chips.
                    Last edited by pranav; 07 July 2020, 05:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X