Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arm Cortex-A77 Support Upstreamed Finally To LLVM Clang 11

Phoronix: Arm Cortex-A77 Support Upstreamed Finally To LLVM Clang 11

While the Arm Cortex-A77 was announced last year and already has been succeeded by the Cortex-A78 announcement, support for the A77 has finally been upstreamed to the LLVM Clang compiler...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It will be most interesting to see this new ARM hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
      It will be most interesting to see this new ARM hardware.
      But A77 is already obsolete since we've got A78

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post
        Maybe some one got A78, I doesn't got any..

And if you look to arm devices around, a lot are still cortex a53, or cortex a72, or cortex a73 I don't see nothing cortex A78 on the sbc market, or domestic market motherboards..

What I would love to see is a atx like motherboard with the 2.5Ghz RISCV 7.1 CoreMark/Mhz 22nm from Alibaba.. that would be great news
        Last edited by tuxd3v; 05 July 2020, 07:11 PM. Reason: bugs and bugs..

Comment

Originally posted by numacross View Post
          No.

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
          Maybe some one got A78, I doesn't got any..
          No one has it, yet. It was just announced on May 26th.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15813...u-ip-diverging

Next step is for SoC builders to license it and integrate it into their chips and get those fabbed. Then, phone, tablet, and laptop makers need to build devices around those SoCs. So, realistically, you're looking at about Q2 of 2021 for the first devices ship with it.

One of the first devices to include the A77 started shipping about 3 months ago. This review is from April 3rd: https://www.anandtech.com/show/15603...omania-devices

And if you look to arm devices around, a lot are still cortex a53, or cortex a72, or cortex a73 I don't see nothing cortex A78 on the sbc market, or domestic market motherboards.
          Low-cost SBCs are going to use SoCs built around older core designs that are cheaper to license and designed for cheaper manufacturing process nodes that are at least a couple generations old.
          Last edited by coder; 05 July 2020, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
            Low-cost SBC's are going to use SoCs built around older core designs that are cheaper to license and designed for cheaper manufacturing process nodes that are at least a couple generations old.
            Yeah that's true, but it sucks
            Should be out there a Vendor pushing for premium, and by premium, I mean not only on the price but also on the specs.

Right now, to buy a "Desktop" arm machine, with "desktop like" performance costs both both eyes and maybe a kidney
            So it doesn't reflect the real product value..

Comment

Right now, to buy a "Desktop" arm machine, with "desktop like" performance costs both both eyes and maybe a kidney
              So it doesn't reflect the real product value..
              Huawei has been readying the entire new breed of desktop PCs with a custom motherboard, custom processor, and even a custom operating system. Being that Huawei plans to supply Chinese government institutions with these PCs, it is logical to break away from US-made technology due to security reasons....

Granted, the performance isn't exactly competitive with PCs, but it supports all of the normal PC expansion slots/sockets and it's surely faster than a Raspberry Pi.

Comment

Working...
              X