Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Binutils 2.35 Preparing For Release

Phoronix: GNU Binutils 2.35 Preparing For Release

Binutils 2.35 was branched this weekend as this important component to the open-source Linux ecosystem...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A step forward to this leading Binutils thingy towards GNU Binutils 2.36. Speed comparisons between Binutils and hot air has shown, that hot air is 10,3217% faster. Now with flatpak support.

Comment

SDo, not much new except for bug fixes. Currently gold linker fails with linux kernel -or at least kernel checks in makefile excldue it from compiling and fail.

Has this been fixed with new version ?

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
        SDo, not much new except for bug fixes. Currently gold linker fails with linux kernel -or at least kernel checks in makefile excldue it from compiling and fail.

Has this been fixed with new version ?
        gold was created by google and google no longer maintains it

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
          WTF ? Isn't it supposed to be vastly better and faster than BFD ? What happened ?
          And, if it is abandoned, why is it still there ?

Moreover, what are we supposed to use as faster bfd alternative now ?

AFAIK lld ain't it, since it cuts some shortcuts that can be important in some cases...

Comment

WTF ? Isn't it supposed to be vastly better and faster than BFD ? What happened ?
            maybe google switched to lld for their usecase
            And, if it is abandoned, why is it still there ?
            it's already in a separate package in fedora https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/BINUTILS_GOLD
            Moreover, what are we supposed to use as faster bfd alternative now ?
            i'm using ld.bfd

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              Isn't that what happens to just about everything Google? Google has the attention span of a 5 year old.

Comment

Gold kept breaking with the kernel, I reported the bugs a few times, but they were with the linker, not the kernel. Looks like gold has been abandoned. After the last time I reported an issue with gold patches were put together to stop gold being allowed. As gold is the default linker on my system I patch my kernel make file to use ld.bfd

There has been a lot of work getting clang and lld working with the kernel, pretty sure that'll be standard soon

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

Isn't that what happens to just about everything Google? Google has the attention span of a 5 year old.
                  even that is better then Trump...

Comment

WTF ? Isn't it supposed to be vastly better and faster than BFD ?
                    No, it was cutting corners to make linking faster for large project. Some of the underlying details in bfd took too much RAM when linking Chrome/Chromium.

Comment

Working...
                    X