No announcement yet.

High Resolution Wheel Scrolling Back To Being Finished Up For The Linux Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Resolution Wheel Scrolling Back To Being Finished Up For The Linux Desktop

Phoronix: High Resolution Wheel Scrolling Back To Being Finished Up For The Linux Desktop

Added over a year ago to the mainline Linux kernel was the high resolution mouse wheel scrolling support. While the support landed on kernel-side for to provide "buttery smooth" wheel scrolling, the work has yet to be wrapped up on the user-space side for making this a reality on the Linux desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Too bad I/we still have to bother with imwheel to set any acceptable wheel speed from the (insane) defaults.

Comment

About time! I was worried that Peter actually got bus factor'ed...

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        intelfx Those Redhat employees has more responsibilities than just releasing desktop stack code. Some time they work on RHEL or internal projects. Then they show when needed for releases on GNOME, Fedora, Xorg etc. That’s pretty awesome.

Same with Hans de Goede. He can be absent from public for months and then he shows up with proper solutions to real problems. He also show up to guide the fallen ones. Like here where he explains for the 100th time why server side decoration never gonna fly on Wayland.
        https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutte...17#note_749634
        I agree in celebrating Hans de Goede. But how is that relevant to the topic (High-res wheel scrolling)?

Comment

That’s a very good definition of The Desktop Stack. Libinput, wayland, weston, mutter, gtk and Xwayland.
          LOL. In any case, Qt already had patches ready to use the new functionality. See https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qt/qtbase/+/290626

Comment

carewolf Qt decided not to throw developer resources at libinput. Red Hat refuse to sign the Freedom-hating Qt CLA.

So there’s no collaboration. And Qt was safely ignored in the current case to get this stuff accepted by The Wayland Meritocracy.
            No collaboration? Hmm.. so connecting with Peter and getting him started again all took place in my head?

You really need to take your trolling down a notch, you are making the other trolls seem sane.
            Last edited by carewolf; 04 April 2020, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post
              Too bad I/we still have to bother with imwheel to set any acceptable wheel speed from the (insane) defaults.

I have those issues on Linux Mint 19.3.
              Is there a viable solution?

Comment

I am just waiting for auto-scroll with the wheel button.

I am not sure ever, why this was wired to a non-existant "button 3 - paste" because x86 never had that middle button some long forgotten mini-computer from the 80s had. the scroll wheel is not actually a middle button, it is a scroll wheel, the platform is entirely different and it makes sense the button shouldn't do anything but scroll.

But fuck, be damned if there are some people who don't understand that time marches on and the 70s and 80s are over, and compliance with some long forgotten hardware isn't an issue anyone fucking cares about. If anything, couldn't they just wire that to buttons 4 or 5 on the side of gaming mice now?

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

No collaboration? Hmm.. so connecting with Peter and getting him started again all took place in my head?

[...]
                  Thank you for your informed words.

Comment

Originally posted by Royi View Post

I have those issues on Linux Mint 19.3.
                    Is there a viable solution?
                    Not as far as I'm aware, imwheel is one solution, but not the good one because it increases steps for the mouse wheel globally, and while that is OK in most situations, if you use mouse scrollwheel to switch tabs in browser for example, it makes it completely unusable (it skips way too much tabs) even with settings 3 for imwheel. The only solution (not perfect either) is to use browser extension for Chrome/Chromium (Chromium Wheel Smooth Scroller) and change the step size to 80-120 (whatever you prefer) or/and change steps for Firefox in about:config (mousewheel.min_line_scroll_amount) to something like 30-50 or whatever you prefer.

Also, this was an issue in every GNU/Linux distribution I've tried (and every DE I think) with substantial amount of different mice (mostly cheap ones, excluding one Logitech that also had that issue).

GI_Jack For me personally, middle click 'paste' is super useful feature, anything that is highlighted, you don't even need to bother with 'copy' shortcuts or anything, personally, I wish every OS uses that function (at work, using Windows 10, missed it quite a bit). Ofc., I am all for the option given to the user, so whoever wants, should be able to disable that behavior (and I think you can, never really bothered to do so obviously)
                    Last edited by leipero; 05 April 2020, 06:54 AM. Reason: Addind response to GI_Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X