Proton 5.0-6 To Allow Out-Of-The-Box DOOM Eternal On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by archsway View Post
    Would you consider adding OpenGL and Vulkan renderers to have been a necessary part of getting DOOM I/II working on Linux?
    doom 1/2 had only software renderer

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Wine: bringing Windows to Linux because the latter is a never-ending mess of new features, transitions, new APIs, deprecated APIs, changed APIs and broken APIs.
      you've misconstructed your sentence. windows is former rather than latter

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

To be fair, while in some ways the compatibility layer is better than before, in some ways it is worse. Now compat is open but it's built on top of reverse engineered Windows API's and implementation details which can under current US precedents result in Microsoft suing Valve at any point for distributing software that implements their API's without permission. Microsoft has not officially waived this right.
        I am not a lawyer, of course, but my understanding is that Oracle was able to sue Google for implementing Java APIs and, crucially, using the Java name without Oracle's permission.

The Wine project is implementing Windows APIs but they're not calling it Windows and they're not using any Microsoft trademarks. I think that's safe.

If you can file lawsuits based just on an API without trademarks, then I'm going to write a program that randomly generates billions of function names and signatures in every known programming language, trademark it, and then start filing lawsuits against every public and private software project in the world for violating my copyrights.

(Edit: I'm happy to be corrected by anyone that knows API copyright law better, and that's not hard.)
        Last edited by Michael_S; 04 April 2020, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Those native ports are pretty bad though. They don't perform that well even with current hardware and getting audio to work is more of a challenge than beating them on highest difficulty. They work fine in wine and proton though. Source ports can be good, sometimes.
          In their time, those ports were some of the few games we had on Linux, and they ran great when they were released. The open sourcing has led to source ports that have kept the games alive for decades. I can't believe you don't see the merit in what they did, especially as a Linux user.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Those native ports are pretty bad though. They don't perform that well even with current hardware and getting audio to work is more of a challenge than beating them on highest difficulty. They work fine in wine and proton though. Source ports can be good, sometimes.
            Just topically, the reason why most pre-2000 games are PITAs with audio is due to the transition from OSS to ALSA combined with the general malaise in sound support libraries over the years:
            • Many games shipped without wrappers, being hand written against the de jour of the day (Glade, OSS, etc).
            • Some games came with their own bundled dylibs like libsdl or liboss, which obviously broke over time. Some can be overridden in the linker, some are statically linked in binaries. Obviously when various APIs are broken or depreciated these layers stop working. Some games have been breaking on glibc for over a decade.
            • OpenGL was also a giant mess for a long time, especially the fixed function 1.x stuff.
            • Windowing was a huge mess. Tons of software targeted XFree86 fixed functions like geometry or buttons in wrapper launchers and such.
            The good news is that SDL2 has largely saved us all by giving developers an API to just use to get everything and guarantee it stays working, even its a really ugly legacy C library.

Comment

Good to see another game will be working with Proton. The more the merrier.

No seriously! Draugr Death Overlords (Doom Eternal Marauders) and ghost wolves from Skyrim? It's really nice to know Bethesda went above and beyond to put their grubby hands in id's Doom.

Why isn't anyone talking about this? I am guessing they haven't played enough video games to even consider themselves as gamer's?
              Last edited by creative; 06 April 2020, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                People are still complaining about source ports while Proton/Wine/DXVK has allowed for thousands of titles to be enjoyed. When will the bitching stop? ffs
                As far as I am concerned Proton is probably the best thing to happen and will ever happen for gaming on Linux. Proton runs games in most cases at least for me near flawless (excluding the entire Dishonored series, which is a shame.).

Sure you may have to sacrifice some visual settings or tick some option/options off (depending on the title and how old it is) so the game translates and is performant, however, most of those settings are not deal breakers anyway, in fact a lot of times they're settings that are not noticeable or suck anyway.
                Last edited by creative; 05 April 2020, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Doom Eternal? Well, that's nice and I'm vaguely interested.

But the new hotness is the fact that Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord is FINALLY out and that can be made to kinda run but needs quite a bit of work still. Getting Borderlands 3 to behave a little nicer would be great too, its stuttery. Doom is mostly a play-and-forget game really, compared to the better longevity of these games.

Comment

Working...
                  X