Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.6-rc3 Released As A "Fairly Normal" Kernel

Phoronix: Linux 5.6-rc3 Released As A "Fairly Normal" Kernel

Linus Torvalds is out today with the Linux 5.6-rc3 kernel as the latest weekly release candidate for Linux 5.6 that will be releasing as stable approximately in one month's time...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

fairly newsworthy news

Comment

I can't believe it's RC3 and the Intel wireless-AC regression is still not fixed hence the networking doesn't work at all.
      I don't know what's going on with the kernel developers lately but they broke the wifi on desktop and don't want to fix it and I tested a few days ago Ubuntu 18.04.4 which broke the wifi on laptop.
      I don't know what bugs can be more important than the one that breaks the whole networking.
      From the looks of it, it looks like the 5.6 will be the worst kernel release ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        I can't believe it's RC3 and the Intel wireless-AC regression is still not fixed hence the networking doesn't work at all.
        I don't know what's going on with the kernel developers lately but they broke the wifi on desktop and don't want to fix it and I tested a few days ago Ubuntu 18.04.4 which broke the wifi on laptop.
        I don't know what bugs can be more important than the one that breaks the whole networking.
        From the looks of it, it looks like the 5.6 will be the worst kernel release ever.
        Where's the bug report?

Comment

5.4 introduced that uefi no db found error on boot. 5.5 introduced a repeating error on shut down plus the previous error. I can't wait to see how 5.6 is going to fuck my computer in the ass.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
            5.4 introduced that uefi no db found error on boot. 5.5 introduced a repeating error on shut down plus the previous error. I can't wait to see how 5.6 is going to fuck my computer in the ass.
            Is that really your biggest complaint about the kernel? Get a grip. I didn't enjoy those messages either, but come on.

For the record, both those messages are coming from this file:

./security/integrity/platform_certs/load_uefi.c

Line 47: pr_err("Couldn't get size: 0x%lx\n", status);
            Line 88: pr_err("MODSIGN: Couldn't get UEFI db list\n");

Both of those issues got addressed 6 days ago in this commit:

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/co...df024bd79d399b

So I imagine you'll start seeing the fix soon, or if you compile your kernel, fix it now.

Comment

KVM passthrough is still broken on AMD systems in rc3 but the developers have been working diligently trying to fix it. They've responded multiple times with test patches and though they haven't worked yet I'm pretty sure they'll get the problems solved soon.

UPDATE:
              One of the developers suggested an alteration to a patch but the code was wrong, so I ended up looking through the immediate code as best I could and tried a few things and ended up creating a patch that at least makes things look like they're working. KVM boots now and my passthrough VM runs just as well as it ever did. I'm fairly sure my patch is still wrong, and am waiting to hear back from the developers about it, but if you're desperate to use a passthrough VM on rc3 right now you can find the patch in the bug report at "https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=206579", the name is "svm.c patch"
              Last edited by muncrief; 25 February 2020, 12:11 AM.

Comment

This:
                Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                From the looks of it, it looks like the 5.6 will be the worst kernel release ever

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

Where's the bug report?
                  There are already multiple bug reports:

You can see the ones with "No longer recognized / initializes".

Comment

Working...
                  X