Dav1d AV1 Decoder Begins Adding AVX-512 Optimizations For Intel Ice Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dav1d AV1 Decoder Begins Adding AVX-512 Optimizations For Intel Ice Lake

Phoronix: Dav1d AV1 Decoder Begins Adding AVX-512 Optimizations For Intel Ice Lake

Ahead of the forthcoming dav1d 0.6 release, this open-source AV1 video decoder has begun implementing AVX-512 optimizations targeting Intel Ice Lake processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does anyone know if the i7 1065G7 CPU used for these tests include one or two AVX-512 execution units?

Comment

Originally posted by lucasbekker View Post
      Does anyone know if the i7 1065G7 CPU used for these tests include one or two AVX-512 execution units?
      That's a good question. I'm thinking about getting one of these in my next laptop just so I can impress people at cocktail parties with "yeah I've got some AVX512 in my house"

Comment

The elephant in the room still is 10bpp support. Is anyone tackling that at all?

Comment

The best way to answer those types of questions is use the Intel's ark.intel.com site (and you can look up the specs for any product. FWIW, the site says that processor does have AVX-512.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

The best way to answer those types of questions is use the Intel's ark.intel.com site (and you can look up the specs for any product. FWIW, the site says that processor does have AVX-512.
            ARK doesn't go deep enough to answer that kind of question unfortunately.

I think it's single based on the diagram https://fuse.wikichip.org/news/2371/...nts-to-follow/

Comment

And I still am waiting for my desktop Ice Lake processor...

Comment

Originally posted by zamadatix View Post
                ARK doesn't go deep enough to answer that kind of question unfortunately.
                Quite right. I missed the requirement for 2 EUs. I wonder if those additional details are on one of the extended partner information pages.

Comment

I have a feeling by the time Dav1d gets really fast AVX-512 encoding, AMD would have implemented it.

Comment

I don't know for your processor, but "Skylake variants have three vector execution units. Two of these units are 256 bits and the last is 512 bits. The two 256-bit units are combined when executing a 512 bit vector. This means that you can do two 512-bit vector calculations per clock cycle." - From here.

Comment

Working...
                    X