X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol i hope this project get deleted

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post

Does nvidia care that much for Linux gaming support? I thought their driver support was mostly intended for professional usage, where gaming was just a bonus?
      Wouldn't there be huge overlap between games and professional usage? They all need the same APIs. A CAD program designed for Engineering needs to use same 3D graphics APIs as a game. Pretty much everything useful for a game is useful for professional software.

The NVIDIA issue is a nuisance, but some have said the NVIDIA API may actually be better. NVIDIA uses its own API for initial set up but should not affect the majority of OpenGL and Vulkan3D code. Perhaps a library could be implemented to deal with NVIDIAs peculiarity transparently.

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
        Why is he bothering so much with nvidia ? I mean, I know that is important because of the market share for that vendor, but if you continue making workarounds in your code because that vendor hasn't followed the specs exactly, then you'll end up like this. An hard to maintain code base with a lot of particular cases. If it doesn't work on nvidia and it works on everyone else, perhaps Nvidia will have a reason to fix their driver. Even more specific, if the bug is only present on specific generation of nvidia cards, then it is more obvious where the problem is.

We already had this bad situation with GL where nvidia has dictated the specifications because the apps were designed to work with 'nvidia bugs in mind'. Better not follow the same approach.

Just respect the Vulkan and DX specifications.

If it works on one vendor driver, it means the game is ok and the specifications are ok.

If it doesn't work on the other driver, it means it needs to be fixed on that driver side.
        Do you have any proof that Nvidia is the main reason that Philip is tuning down DXVK?
        I'm an AMD user myself, but I can nowhere see anything about Nvidia in the announcement and from what I can see at github, there are as much Nvidia as AMD issues to me...

Comment

Originally posted by Neraxa View Post

Wouldn't there be huge overlap between games and professional usage? They all need the same APIs. A CAD program designed for Engineering needs to use same 3D graphics APIs as a game. Pretty much everything useful for a game is useful for professional software.
          Yes. A few oddities aside*, the main difference between "Pro" and "Gamer" model GPUs is using ECC memory.

*like the Radeon Pro W5700 -- it might as well be a rebadged 5700XT since the only difference between the two is the display ports available to be used. The rest of the specs are the same. Pretty much one is spending an extra $300-$400 to use Mini Display Port over Display Port and swapping HDMI for USB-C.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
            lol i hope this project get deleted
            The bluntness of that trolling attempt of yours is so grotesque, it can probably be considered art.

Comment

This happens. Hopefully he'll be able to set things straight and get the codebase into a state where it's maintainable and extensible.

Comment

Well, one way or another, I hope the project will come to life in the future.

Comment

It only shows that the only long term solution is for apps/games to ship with Vulkan support.

Comment

Well if the code base is approaching critical mass then I hope that Phillip can step back, take a breath or two and get some things tidied up. He's been working at such a furious pace that he's had to leave a few things at the "I'll get to that later. . . ". Nevertheless dxvk 1.4.6 is over 100K lines of code and that is an amazing amount of code generated in such a short period of time, not to mention the quality of the code and the complexity.

I have nothing to offer Mr.Rebohle other than my thanks and that he deserves a well earned respite from the frantic pace he's maintained these last months/years.

He's not a multi-billion dollar corporation, he's a super-human coder who can do more than most of us could even imagine. There are many superheroes in the computer world and he is one of them. Thank you Mr. Rebohle,.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                      You know damn well that "profiles" are more evil than systemd and that no program should ever, EVER require any form of profiles or if/thens to work around a bug in a game from 23.4 years ago
                      They _are_ evil and should never be required. However, "should" often has little resemblance to actual reality.

Comment

Working...
                      X