DXVK Reportedly Going Into "Maintenance Mode" Due To State Of Code-Base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DXVK Reportedly Going Into "Maintenance Mode" Due To State Of Code-Base

Phoronix: DXVK Reportedly Going Into "Maintenance Mode" Due To State Of Code-Base

While DXVK tends to be much-loved by Linux gamers for allowing more Direct3D 10/11 Windows games to run nicely on Linux with Wine or Proton (Steam Play) thanks to its fairly complete translation of D3D10/D3D11 API calls to Vulkan, it looks like Philip Rebohle is at least contemplating shifting it just into maintenance-mode...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

[SARCASM] Does this imply that the codeweavers chaps were correct in stating that long term DXVK was a dead end? [/SARCASM]

Philip has done (and continues doing) a great job, what this exemplifies is how terrible fanboy-ism is.

Comment

So, Valve needs to hire him full-time so he can refactor it, and assign a sidekick to him he can delegate grunt-work to

Comment

I think he's too harsh to himself, gaming in Wine + DXVK often works more reliably for me than native Windows gaming. Especially DXVK hardly ever is the culprit when there are problems.

Comment

I guess what he is really saying is that he's tired of/exhausted by maintaining this huge project on his own and it needs a lot more manpower and hardware. Hopefully someone from Valve will hear that. DXVK is too invaluable to be slowed down by having just a single primary developer.

Comment

Originally posted by JPFSanders View Post
            Does this imply that the codeweavers chaps were correct in stating that long term DXVK was a dead end?
            this implies that everything produced by codeweavers chaps so far is much worse

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              I guess what he is really saying is that he's tired of/exhausted by maintaining this huge project on his own and it needs a lot more manpower and hardware. Hopefully someone from Valve will hear that. DXVK is too invaluable to be slowed down by having just a single primary developer.
              What he needs is a nice CI to run a bunch of game tests automatically. One person testing all those games is not really sustainable.

I wonder if there's a gaming company that has a huge library of games, has the resources to put this together, and a vested investment in dxvk... *cough*value*cough*

Comment

Having all the debugging for every game on one guys shoulders doesn't scale. I'd freeze it too.

Comment

Why is he bothering so much with nvidia ? I mean, I know that is important because of the market share for that vendor, but if you continue making workarounds in your code because that vendor hasn't followed the specs exactly, then you'll end up like this. An hard to maintain code base with a lot of particular cases. If it doesn't work on nvidia and it works on everyone else, perhaps Nvidia will have a reason to fix their driver. Even more specific, if the bug is only present on specific generation of nvidia cards, then it is more obvious where the problem is.

We already had this bad situation with GL where nvidia has dictated the specifications because the apps were designed to work with 'nvidia bugs in mind'. Better not follow the same approach.

Just respect the Vulkan and DX specifications.

If it works on one vendor driver, it means the game is ok and the specifications are ok.

If it doesn't work on the other driver, it means it needs to be fixed on that driver side.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post

What he needs is a nice CI to run a bunch of game tests automatically. One person testing all those games is not really sustainable.

I wonder if there's a gaming company that has a huge library of games, has the resources to put this together, and a vested investment in dxvk... *cough*value*cough*
                    He should without a doubt get in touch with the Dolphin Emulator about that. They have FIFOCI https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2015/01...ucture/#fifoci, which allows them to automate testing against the enormous Gamecube + Wii games library. While they're enabled in this regard by being the arbiter of both CPU and GPU (ah the luxuries of a pure emulator) I think it's worth exploring a similar approach here as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X