Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEOX V Announced By Think Silicon As First RISC-V 3D GPU

Phoronix: NEOX V Announced By Think Silicon As First RISC-V 3D GPU

While there has been the Libre RISC-V community-driven effort to create a RISC-V graphics processor that basically amounts to a RISC-V core with vector extensions/improvements and running a Vulkan software implementation (though they are now reportedly eyeing POWER instead of RISC-V), Think Silicon has announced the first actual RISC-V ISA based 3D graphics processor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So. Developing hardware costs, 1. Time. 2. Money.
    Free organisations create an ISA. Making the community gain momentum.
    Companies, not interested in contributing, fork their own implementations (obviously).

So. How many hardware solutions do we have that are free and worth a damn?
    Still at square zero.

This is about as interesting to me as hearing about another Chinese SoC vendor.
    I don't know why I would ever want this over a COTS full custom ASIC GPU
    The full custom ASIC would probably be less money and way more performance.

Comment

Well, that probably explain why RISC-V Foundation was hostile towards Libre RISC-V?

Comment

I guess this thing, unlike the Libre RISC-V, actually has a geometry processor... right?

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
          Well, that probably explain why RISC-V Foundation was hostile towards Libre RISC-V?
          How exactly and when was RISC-V Foundation being hostile?

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
            So. Developing hardware costs, 1. Time. 2. Money.
            Free organisations create an ISA. Making the community gain momentum.
            Companies, not interested in contributing, fork their own implementations (obviously).
            Are you sure you know what an ISA is? It's a set of standards.

There is nothing to "fork" in an ISA. Implementations can be forked. This implementation is not derived by something else.

The full custom ASIC would probably be less money and way more performance.
            If all you want it to run are OpenGL/Vulkan stuff, probably. If you want to target it directly with the code (i.e. write a native application for it), probably not.

Comment

Originally posted by pkese View Post
              How exactly and when was RISC-V Foundation being hostile?
              Refused to communicate. Check comments to article about switching this project to POWER.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                I guess this thing, unlike the Libre RISC-V, actually has a geometry processor... right?
                Does not seem so, as the graphics capability is provided by loading and running GLOVE in it.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Implementations can be forked.
                  implementation also can implement forked standard, like microsoft with eee

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                    Refused to communicate.
                    because think silicon was developing risc-v product?
                    what makes think silicon so special?

Comment

Working...
                    X