The Qt Company Launches Qt Marketplace For Free + Paid Qt Extensions / Add-Ons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xorbe View Post
    The 3 featured with prices are $2000, $3600, $2880, all of them per year. The Qt Marketplace must be aimed at companies.
    Oh haven't you heard? The job market is booming and every tom, dick and jane have money falling out their ears.....

Comment

I expected addons to be developed either in-house for example at big companies Google, Blizzard and Valve or crowd funded for open source. I'm not against people charging money for these things, just surprised that it passed as a feasible business model in the context of the application.

I generally dislike people mixing open source and commercial so closely, but there's no good alternative to Qt (IMO).

Comment

I like Qt, I would even pay for it, just not that f***ing much. They should provide an option for small teams or individuals who need a commercial license for the complete toolkit. I don't mind giving money to such great projects. A few $/month for a personal license would be great, even Adobe does that. I wouldn't complain about Qt not being completely free, it's already great that we have the opensource option. Nobody should work for free, they offered a good compromise that can certainly be improved.

Comment

Originally posted by mzs.112000 View Post
          The KDE developers should probably fork Qt at this point...
          It would be better than doing a complete rewrite every 6-7 years...
          But then people will complain about security like with TDE because KDE doesn't have enough developers to maintain both Qt *and* KDE/Plasma.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

But then people will complain about security like with TDE because KDE doesn't have enough developers to maintain both Qt *and* KDE/Plasma.
            Or, maybe, the Plasma project is s wrong project.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post

I wasn't aware employees have to ask their employers for money at all. I always assumed people just get paid every month as long as their contracts are running.
              So employees get paid by default, but employers (e.g. Qt Company) should not. Gotcha.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                So employees get paid by default, but employers (e.g. Qt Company) should not. Gotcha.
                You keep pulling nonsense out your rear end. And I don't mean just this thread, that's a tendency with you. I've already explained how and why their move is stupid and misguided and counterproductive as yet another distraction from the issues at hand with their business model and underlying product.

What's my problem with them doing stupid stuff? Because I actually use Qt, at least for the time being, and them doing stupid things hurts Qt, which in turn is reflected on me and extended to the users of my product.

Sure, at least this move doesn't introduce yet more bloat and bugs for the time being, but it is yet another investment of effort in the wrong direction. And how long before they integrate that into the IDE and it becomes another source of freezes and crashes?

So what's your angle? Trolling because you have nothing better to do with your life? Or worse?

You should seriously look into other ways to glitter than be a cheerleader for stupid and counterproductive, greed driven executive decisions. Mind you that this kind of stuff has already cost the jobs of dozens of decent and hardworking developers, who did nothing wrong other than follow such stupid decisions of your beloved "Qt company", really that pesky old Digia with a facelift. Oh that's right, I forgot, you don't care about the employees, you only care about the employers...

Comment

I whish KDE and Gnome would just join forces with the upcomming GTK4. So they would have one toolkit that power all desktops and slim down the linux platform

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
                    I whish KDE and Gnome would just join forces with the upcomming GTK4. So they would have one toolkit that power all desktops and slim down the linux platform
                    ... or GNOME and KDE would just join forces and use Qt.

Comment

Working...
                    X