Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Survey For November Points To Flat Linux Percentage

Phoronix: Steam Survey For November Points To Flat Linux Percentage

With the start of a new month always comes the excitement of seeing what Valve's Steam Survey is pointing at for gaming trends as to the percentage of Linux gamers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Do you have to opt into these or are a random selection of people get picked? I remember in the past being asked to participate, but I haven't had that happen in a long time.

Comment

I just got the survey last week for the first time and I've been using Steam since it launched on Linux, so who knows how it works.

Comment

I'm quite surprised of the RX480 GPU. Mesa drivers are notoriously unsuited for gaming, even though things are improving.

Comment

Steam numbers don't add up correctly.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey?platform=linux
          Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS 64 bit 21.31% +0.61%
          "Arch Linux" 64 bit 10.97% +0.33%
          "Manjaro Linux" 64 bit 10.96% +0.97%
          Ubuntu 19.10 64 bit 7.67% +7.67% (new, thus reduced from other)
          Linux Mint 19.2 Tina 64 bit 6.27% +6.27% (new, thus reduced from other)
          Other 42.81% -4.67%
          Total 99.99% +11.18% ???? (should be 0)

Comment

Originally posted by deemon View Post
            Steam numbers don't add up correctly.
            That depends on what those percentages refer to, maybe not the total but the specific distribution in the previous survey.
            In that case, they would not add up to 0.

But the Ubuntu and Mint percentages look weird, maybe they're the issue.
            Last edited by geearf; 02 December 2019, 08:42 AM.

Comment

If mobile devices could include Linux OS and it performed well enough to include installing and playing games on Steam and that came with every mobile device. Until that happens, nothing makes a dent in those numbers. Not even Valve can get them to move higher than a silly micro amount.

Comment

Someone should create a stock-market derivate for linux-marketshare-on-some-drm-infested-store. Then I could monitor those incredible important fluctuations in realtime!

Comment

Win10 went down 2% and Win7 went up 2.4%. That's pretty wild too.

Comment

These abberrant percentages haven't affected my game play. Clueless dev's are still clueless, and the one's with a clue get paid. With ACO about to surpass windows performance, I don't really care if Valve greps math or not, as long as they make windows look like a red headed stepchild for a change.

Comment

Working...
                    X