No announcement yet.

Disney+ Currently Won't Work On Linux Systems Due To Tightened DRM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they use the top level security, then it won't work on Windows 7/8 either or on processors older than Intel's Broadwell.

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post
      Saying Netflix and Amazon "work fine" on Linux while they limit you to 720p or even 480p is...questionable ^^
      So it doesn't really take me wonder that an evil corp like disney would be even worse...
      Amazon limits you to 480p which is unacceptable. Netflix limits you to HD, which is exactly have paid for (I see no reason to pay extra for the 4K content yet), which is perfectly acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        The issue is that widevine does not have much way to know if the stack is secure or not. You can trick it easily if you can provide the right blobs.

Like most DRM, it relies on the whole stack of the device being stable and not alterable by the user.

Which is why it falls flat on its face if someone hacks the application to think the device is "max security" (which are most of the "netflix app" hacks so far)

Also of course HDCP is another obvious weak link. It's very easy to set up a systemw ehre you can just send the stream to a HDMI capture card.
        For that matter, cheapo HDMI splitter cables on Amazon can be enough to strip out DRM and make buggy stuff work. A few years back a lightning strike messed up my Mom's TV and the only thing it did was cause the TV to start throwing HDCP errors at random. Bought her a $7 HDMI splitter and she hasn't had a single HDCP issue since.

It really helps to read the reviews to find "pirate" grade cables

Comment

Can't say this was entirely unexpected considering what a hassle it was to get Netflix working under Linux back in the day and how much of a pain it was to get HBO Nordic/Go to run as recently as 2018 when it was still based on Flash. Maybe the HTML5 version they were promising has materialized since then, but I stopped subscribing to it when season 2 of Westworld ended.

Still, if they think this will deter or even slow down pirates they're going to be bitterly disappointed. Then again we're talking about the same people who keep pushing for HDCP as if people were still copying content like they did in the 80s by connecting two VHS cassette players in series. Hence the failure of the DRM being used here is going to be rationalized as being proof of the DRM not being heavy handed enough rather than just being pointless.

Speaking of streaming services, it's kind of funny how piracy was on the decline for a long while as streaming took off, but now that everyone and their dog has to have their own streaming platform and are pulling content from competing platforms people are returning to piracy.

Comment

I have mixed feelings about this, for one I would like that these type of services work well in Linux, the more things that work out of the box the better for our platform.

However Disney has become too woke for my taste and most of what they produce is outright propaganda that I believe is bad for young minds, so "bad things happen for a good reason".

At the same time they have so much content old and new that it feels a bit like a loss not to have it for those who might want it.

In the end as many people have been pointing "sailing the high seas" is the solution for stupid and intrusive DRM.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

Amazon limits you to 480p which is unacceptable. Netflix limits you to HD, which is exactly have paid for (I see no reason to pay extra for the 4K content yet), which is perfectly acceptable.
              720p is not "HD" if you watch on anything bigger than phone screen - and thus not acceptable imho. There is a 1080p FF-Addon that works sometimes on some shows (mostly Netflix' own ones, so probably a DRM-issue), but that is not reliable enough to be considered acceptable, too

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
                Speaking of streaming services, it's kind of funny how piracy was on the decline for a long while as streaming took off, but now that everyone and their dog has to have their own streaming platform and are pulling content from competing platforms people are returning to piracy.
                For me it never really ended. My cable company sucks so I can't get one of those codes to unlock the streaming portion of a lot of websites...so you're damn right I pirate a few TV shows that air at the same time that I would have legal access to stream if my cable company didn't suck donkey balls.

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post

720p is not "HD" if you watch on anything bigger than phone screen - and thus not acceptable imho. There is a 1080p FF-Addon that works sometimes on some shows (mostly Netflix' own ones, so probably a DRM-issue), but that is not reliable enough to be considered acceptable, too
                  720p is exactly what HD is.. 1080 is FHD. Also not sure where you get the 720p limit from, as far as I know I get 1080p in Chromium based browsers.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    For that matter, cheapo HDMI splitter cables on Amazon can be enough to strip out DRM and make buggy stuff work.
                    That's true for FullHD content and less-than HDCP 2.0. Also depending on your setup (you are watching only HD/720p media), you might even just get away with a non-HDCP-aware splitter that is just preventing any HDCP handshake, and the devices will work fine without.

Bypassing HDCP 2.2 and/or doing it with 4K video is more involved and expensive, but not unaffordable for people that actually need it (and have spend thousands of $$ in high end equipment that now can't work because of bullshit DRM issues)
                    Last edited by starshipeleven; 21 October 2019, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by theriddick View Post
                      what about android or mobile users?
                      Some (but not all) Android based platforms are already certified for the highest level of Widevine. I would expect Disney to eventually have a list of known certified devices (like the list Netflix has). Those devices that are not certified typically have hardware that could be, if the device manufacturer chooses to do the work (most new(er) devices from the major manufacturers are already certified).

Comment

Working...
                      X