Disney+ Currently Won't Work On Linux Systems Due To Tightened DRM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lanz View Post
    All of these offshoot platforms just weaken the market. The Pirate Bay has every source's content and no one with the know-how (ie Linux users) is going to play along with Disney+/Hulu/Amazon/YouTube Red/Netflix/etc when they can just go to one source and avoid DRM.
    According to an article on TorrentFreak, market fragmentation actually is causing piracy to start to trend up again. People are paying for whatever service has the most content they want, then pirating the rest.

Comment

Ahh no problem even Netflix working bad on IOS .. no idea why but I am sure Disney will get the best place on Airplay. As long Sony will bring films before Itunes I will watch stuff on the PS4 .. so Disney better make sure Sony is on your side .. watching films on Linux muahahaha .. DRM .. you mean the stuff you filter after you have paid the filmcrew for your fun or is that another we want everything for free discussion?
      Last edited by Naquatis; 20 October 2019, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
        However does this mean that widevine / DRM can be stripped from the W3C standard yet?
        Why? It's working as intended. Devices not certified to be "safe" won't see the DRMed content requiring the device to be certified as "safe".
        We now have proof that DRM vendors will never play ball with standards.
        DRM vendor defines 3 levels of security on platform, widely documented, the more secure ones require certification process on the client device https://www.xda-developers.com/andro...-video-hd-drm/
        DRM-encumbered content distributor decides to limit his content to devices advertising level 3 of security (the max)
        Linux platform does not support security levels above 1 because as I said that requires certification, and none would even try to certify a Linux distro anyway. Besides, many Android devices also lack this certification because the OEM does not give a shit.
        DRM-encumbered content requiring more than level 1 DRM will not be displayed (this is valid for the Netflix 4K content just as Disney's content).

Where you see DRM vendors not playing ball with standards?

Comment

screw you Mickey Mouse

Comment

From what I know...
            First level needs swdrm (L3)
            Second requires swdrm with hwdrm crypto (L2)
            Third requires full hwdrm (L1).:

Hwdrm requires certification and a signed stack, elsewise how would winevine know that there was no middle software pretending to be hwdrm.

Not sure how you would get more than swdrm with an open stack. A distro could theoretically certify, but I assume it means widevine would break if you recompiled a portion of the stack it uses.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
              Shame.
              However does this mean that widevine / DRM can be stripped from the W3C standard yet?
              We now have proof that DRM vendors will never play ball with standards.
              More I think that the widevine level 2 support will appear for Linux/Android sooner rather than later

Comment

I wonder if this impacts Chromebooks?

Comment

Originally posted by holunder View Post
                  Don’t know why Pirate Bay comes up every time someone talks about 'pirated' copies. The site is one of the worse and doesn’t has a serious community. Don’t go there to search for content. It’s not much more than a bygone name anymore.
                  What other easily accessed public trackers should casual pirates be using nowadays? 99% of pirates don't care about community, they care about magnet links to the stuff they want.

Comment

Amazon also only allows SD resolution playback thanks to their DRM system not working under Linux for HD/UHD (no work arounds work). Still puzzled as to what this DRM stuff is meant to do except piss people off, I mean it clearly doesn't stop copying the content!

Comment

Originally posted by Mystro256 View Post
                      From what I know...
                      Not sure how you would get more than swdrm with an open stack.
                      In theory, if the decoding (and appropriate post-processing) is done inside a hardware protected component inside the GPU using signed components which has direct access to the HDCP protected output path you could see a solution on Linux, as Linux would just be a transport of the raw bits into the hardware protected decryption/rendering engine, but that would be mostly hwdrm. ARM TrustZone is an example of doing hardware based protected processing on a solution that might not otherwise by fully certified. The HDCP validation support in some of the newer GPU drivers might eventually enable some of this, maybe.

Comment

Working...
                      X