Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FreeBSD 12.1 Is Near With Libomp Finally In Base, LLD Linker By Default For i386

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD 12.1 Is Near With Libomp Finally In Base, LLD Linker By Default For i386

Phoronix: FreeBSD 12.1 Is Near With Libomp Finally In Base, LLD Linker By Default For i386

FreeBSD 12.1 is near with the first release candidate shipping this weekend. While a point release over the nearly one year old FreeBSD 12.0, it does come with some notable changes in tow...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The FreeBSD based project-trident appears to be in the process of transitioning to linux.

Comment

Originally posted by dreich View Post
      The FreeBSD based project-trident appears to be in the process of transitioning to linux.
      That could also mean a transition to a GhostBSD or TrueOS base. IMHO, it makes sense for the more prominent *BSD GUI distributions like Ghost and Trident to join forces and provide one great system instead of two good systems. Desktop *BSD isn't like Linux in regards to being able to deal with user fragmentation like that.

Does anyone know how RX 580s and AMDGPU perform on up-to-date BSD distributions these days? Last time I tried, a few months back, there was just enough in place for a horrible desktop experience (it was a great experience with my old R7 260x that had fully functioning BSD GPU drivers).

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        That could also mean a transition to a GhostBSD or TrueOS base.
        Project Trident is currently using TrueOS (FreeBSD) as the base. It's a pretty reasonable assumption that moving to an "alternate operating system" probably means Linux, especially when they are talking about increased driver support. From the commits shown, it looks like they are using parts of Void Linux.

Comment

Can't see it as anything else than transitioning to Linux, but since they seem to have chosen Void's base, it will probably be new systemd-less distro.

Comment

Project Trident is now a Linux distribution? WTH with those guys?

It was PC-BSD, then it was renamed to TrueOS, then to Trident, now to a Linux distro. They are not interested on users really.

We can't trust projects made by people who don't have a goal.

Comment

The next one will be FreeNAS...

Comment

Originally posted by Dharc View Post
                Project Trident is now a Linux distribution? WTH with those guys?

It was PC-BSD, then it was renamed to TrueOS, then to Trident, now to a Linux distro. They are not interested on users really.

We can't trust projects made by people who don't have a goal.
                They should have kept tracking 12-STABLE and it would have dragged them out of "perpetual beta" and endless bugs..

Comment

Working...
                X