KDE Plasma Mobile Is Beginning To Look Surprisingly Good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

GNOME renamed their app names but just kept those as their project names. Gedit shows up as Text Editor.
    Yeah, one of the most stupid things gnome has ever done (way more stupid than the gnome 3-break^^ ) imho.
    The way KDE (and i think the likes of xfce, mate, too?) does it is so much saner: distinct names for applications, but when you search for "text" in the application menu/krunner, Kate, Kwrite, Calligra etc show up.

And i really don't understand the hate towards Breeze, especially Breeze Dark imho is one of the most beautiful themes in PC-history. Elegant, sleek, calm
    It's all subjective and a matter of taste, sure - but if i compare it to things like oxygen, adwaita, they all look clumsy/bloated/inefficient to me.

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post
      Same thoughts here but mostly for those stupid names. I have no idea what Kaidan, Okular
      Okular is a PDF viewer. While I agree that the name in no way indicates that fact, it's no worse than Gnome naming its PDF viewer 'Evince'. I mean, how does that imply a PDF viewer either?

Point being, many desktops have 'unique' names for apps. Or at least they should, since it makes searching online much easier. It's just that if you use Gnome exclusively then you've gotten used to its naming schemes and idiosyncrasies, and they make sense to you. But don't pretend for one moment that someone that's never used Gnome before wouldn't be just as confused with the naming of some of its apps. To do otherwise is just plain hypocritical.

Comment

I always have the impression that people tend to judge without ever having tried for enough time to understand.
        This thing I notice every time we talk about DE, but also about distributions, if you are used to Ubuntu for example you will find other distributions (not derivatives) more difficult, but they are simply different. Personally when I try a distribution or DE I do it for at least a month, just because I want to understand the merits and the defects.

Comment

I suspect that most KDE haters have never fully tried KDE TBH. When I start seeing things like "Breeze is ugly", that is the first clue. Not only can you change the color of various parts of breeze (including the Window decorations), but you can also change to a completely different theme. You cab even make KDE look exactly like MacOS or Windows 10 if you want. Hell there is a Windows 98 theme for those who want to go full retro. Barring that you cab build your own theme using SVGs like I did.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

Second that. But mainly for their asinine behavior of naming more or less every application as K-something or some other useless name.
            Dolphin, Zanshin, Elisa, Babe... doesn't sound K-something to me. Besides, it's not like GNOME is any better with stuff like gThumb, gColorChooser, GParted, etc.
            Last edited by Vistaus; 12 October 2019, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by George99 View Post

Same thoughts here but mostly for those stupid names. I have no idea what Kaidan, Okular or vvave will do for me as both the silly names and the design don't explain nothing.
              But you do have an idea as to what gThumb or Eolie will do? Honestly, it's not much better over at the GNOME camp.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

GNOME renamed their app names but just kept those as their project names. Gedit shows up as Text Editor.
                Not all of them: gThumb still shows up as gThumb, for example. Same goes for GParted.

Comment

Originally posted by sa666666 View Post
                  Okular is a PDF viewer. While I agree that the name in no way indicates that fact, it's no worse than Gnome naming its PDF viewer 'Evince'. I mean, how does that imply a PDF viewer either?

Point being, many desktops have 'unique' names for apps. Or at least they should, since it makes searching online much easier. It's just that if you use Gnome exclusively then you've gotten used to its naming schemes and idiosyncrasies, and they make sense to you. But don't pretend for one moment that someone that's never used Gnome before wouldn't be just as confused with the naming of some of its apps. To do otherwise is just plain hypocritical.
                  And not just on Linux. I mean: how the hell does "Edge", "Safari" or "Chrome" indicate a web browser?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

And not just on Linux. I mean: how the hell does "Edge", "Safari" or "Chrome" indicate a web browser?
                    As we all know, The Edge from U2 likes the browse the world to look for ways to spend his money. People on Safaris browse at animals. People looking at Chrome browse the world in a distorted reflection. That's how.

Comment

Would love to get off Android one day, and have a simple Linux phone. I used to own a Blackberry, but as soon as they stopped developing their own OS, I had no choice.

Comment

Working...
                      X