The Hardware FOSDEM Uses To Carry Out Linux Video Recordings Of Their Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hardware FOSDEM Uses To Carry Out Linux Video Recordings Of Their Event

Phoronix: The Hardware FOSDEM Uses To Carry Out Linux Video Recordings Of Their Event

Not only is FOSDEM one of the best open-source/Linux events in the world for those who make the journey each February to Brussels, but they also for years now have done a masterful job at recording the different talks and developer room sessions. Each year gets better both for the event itself as well as the video recordings even with FOSDEM operating on a very limited budget due to the event being free to attend. For those curious about the hardware/software setup powering their video setup, here's an interesting blog post...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hello Michael,

Mark here, FOSDEM video team.

Just to be clear, this is not about the current production hardware, but about work on the next iteration. Luc is doing fantastic work very close to the hardware. We try to support him wherever we can. Our humble technical contributions will come later, because they're higher up the stack: software packaging, documentation, testing, integration and more.

The current iteration is a big improvement over the previous one already. We invested a lot of effort and funding into building a stack as free software as possible using hardware we already had. The only thing that is not FOSS in the current iteration video boxes FOSDEM video boxesis the blob running the BlackMagic usb H264 encoder. We cut the firmware from the existing Windows driver. It gets loaded using a shim kernel driver.

We run the entire current video setup on Debian stable. The only patches only partially upstream are uboot patches to enable the lcd on our custom hardware, thanks to help from Paul Kocialkowski.

We've actively upstreamed patches where we could and pulled strings in order to get the things we need into Debian. Nginx-rtmp and voctomix packaging come to mind. Thanks to the Debian nginx packagers, the Debconf video people and Holger Levsen.

We use CCC's voctomix as our video mixer. We actively engaged with upstream developers, streaming some of FOSSAsia 2019 together with them. We're basicly using voctomix headless, in ways the original developers were really surprised about. They smiled when they saw first hand how we use it.

Most of the FOSDEM video stack will stay. It's "only" the ingestion boxes (current iteration in the picture) that will change.

The current setup is relatively bulky, costly and not 100% FOSS because of the BlackMagic encoder. The new bit Luc is working on should enable us to build cheap, easy to ship 100% FOSS & open video streaming hardware for the benefit of the wider community.

Comment

Nice project!
      For what I read,
      Will be a small box for each room, with a very low power processor, and also open hardware from Olimex, I believe that Cedrus driver will be used, with it?
      I which Luc succeed on that, it wil become a nice product, from streaming..

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
        Nice project!
        For what I read,
        Will be a small box for each room, with a very low power processor, and also open hardware from Olimex, I believe that Cedrus driver will be used, with it?
        Two small boxes per room ingest a stream each: one ingests the camera, one the slides.
        I which Luc succeed on that, it wil become a nice product, from streaming..
        I'll forward him your best wishes :-)

Comment

Read through to the end of the actual blog entry, all is explained

Comment

Working...
          X