Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenZFS Could Soon See Much Better Deduplication Support

Phoronix: OpenZFS Could Soon See Much Better Deduplication Support

The OpenZFS file-system could soon be seeing better data deduplication support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Panzure is a company specializing in data storage offerings
    Panzura or Panzure?

Comment

very nice

Comment

My proxmox will love this. I have alot(10+) of debian containers ... this will massively reduce the size.

Comment

That's great.

Dedup would be really great if it worked and it was cheep. (like compression).

Comment

I already use zfs in lots of machines, but If this really works well without requiring a TB of ram then I'll probably switch all my installations from btrfs to zfs.
            ## VGA ##
            AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
            Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Damn me and my timing, I just bought a Fujitsu rack server that can mount up to 768 GB of ECC RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                I already use zfs in lots of machines, but If this really works well without requiring a TB of ram then I'll probably switch all my installations from btrfs to zfs.
                I am always getting mixed answers to how much ram openzfs needs (from atleast 8gb to not much unless you use specific features) . Have you it on some 1-2 GB systems?

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
                  I am always getting mixed answers to how much ram openzfs needs (from atleast 8gb to not much unless you use specific features) . Have you it on some 1-2 GB systems?
                  It will work for home-sized arrays (a few TB)
                  https://serverfault.com/questions/74...ool-block-size
                  https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues/5417

as long as you don't use dedup and L2ARC.

Having more RAM is better because it's used as cache, but you don't need that much RAM to just use ZFS.

Apart from that, there is a lot of legends and hearsay about heavy RAM usage/requirements coming from FreeNAS (FreeBSD) people that does not apply to OpenZFS (and soon will not apply to FreeNAS/BSD anymore too as they are migrating to OpenZFS codebase for their ZFS)
                  Pool block size in OpenZFS is huge if compared to Solaris and FreeBSD, and they have reduced massively the RAM requirement for L2ARC.

See my post and the answers here https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...15#post1112115
                  Last edited by starshipeleven; 20 September 2019, 06:58 AM.

Comment

I just want persistent cache.

Comment

Working...
                    X