No announcement yet.

Intel's New OpenGL Driver Is Looking Really Great With The Upcoming Mesa 19.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's New OpenGL Driver Is Looking Really Great With The Upcoming Mesa 19.2

Phoronix: Intel's New OpenGL Driver Is Looking Really Great With The Upcoming Mesa 19.2

Intel's new open-source OpenGL Linux driver "Iris" Gallium3D that has been in development for the past two years or so is getting ready to enter the limelight. Months ago they talked of plans to have it ready to become their default OpenGL driver by the end of the calendar year and with the state of Mesa 19.2 it's looking like that goal can be realized in time. With our new tests of this driver, in most games and other graphics applications the performance of this Gallium3D driver is now beyond that of their "classic" i965 Mesa driver.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great! Can you do a Windows vs. Linux comparison as well?

Comment

I wonder how these would compare with a slower CPU.

With this i9-9900K the bottleneck will be very much the GPU, but with an i3 or Celeron the balance would shift a little. It wouldn't be the same as testing with a dedicated GPU such as Intel are preparing for, but it'd be a move in that direction.

One of the mains features of Gallium3D is a state machine which reduces CPU use so this may be more apparent with different hardware. Maybe it'd make a big difference, maybe any CPU limit is on single thread performance so it'd be insignificant.

Comment

Besides perf, we can run some games with galium nine too

Comment

I tried Mesa 19.1 with Iris and then SDDM didn't want to start anymore, I think I should try again now with Mesa 19.2.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
            I tried Mesa 19.1 with Iris and then SDDM didn't want to start anymore, I think I should try again now with Mesa 19.2.
            You better get rid of SDDM, running Xorg as root is not a good idea.

I hope it will be possible to use Iris with VAAPI in mpv.

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
              +1

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                Great! Can you do a Windows vs. Linux comparison as well?
                Yes, please!

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                  You better get rid of SDDM, running Xorg as root is not a good idea.
                  Xorg can run as non-root only with certain drivers. For example, I haven't managed to run rootless X with proprietary Nvidia drivers. They crash during X startup.

Comment

Yes, the reduced CPU consumption on e.g. a 15W processor would probably help some more?
                    I know that undervolting the CPU on my notebook gave me noticeably smoother performance in games, and better FPS too.
                    It seems that the CPU can use a LOT more power than the GPU on my i7-8650U so, the less the CPU has to do, the less the GPU gets downclocked too.
                    This system is very power constrained.

Comment

Working...
                    X