Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A POWER'ful Announcement Is Expected Tomorrow Changing The Open-Source Landscape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A POWER'ful Announcement Is Expected Tomorrow Changing The Open-Source Landscape

Phoronix: A POWER'ful Announcement Is Expected Tomorrow Changing The Open-Source Landscape

For those interested in IBM's POWER architecture and/or open-source hardware prospects, an industry-shaking announcement is expected to happen Tuesday morning...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I really hope they'll announce a POWER platform that is price/performance competitive with amd64. Other than that I can't image anything else that might be big news.

Comment

Perhaps... AIX has been open-sourced. We will finally be able to get our hands on smitty!

More likely they have sold it to a (chinese?) company who will gut the POWER architecture, putting a few of the innovations into a niche domain specific chip and it will disappear forever.

Oh, the anticipation!
      Last edited by kpedersen; 19 August 2019, 08:05 AM.

Comment

After RISC-V gained traction, started improving their license or going open source.
        For me, there is no other way than RISC-V.
        And if Huawei open sources HarmonyOS, and if it is indeed that great like it is told to be, then, I have my future computer: HarmonyOS running on a RISC-V machine.

cipri

Comment

POWER to the people ... or something along these lines?

Comment

Opensource hardware at modern CPU level, with billions of tiny transistors, is something that looks great in theory, but at last to me is meaningless in practical terms.

The problem is that while you can review the code, the circuitry on the chip can only the audited by a selected few, if that. So you will always have to thrust the hardware vendor, not matter how open they claim it to be.

Comment

As IBM took over Red Hat recently, I can think of a Linux on POWER initiative, something like Clear Linux for POWER. But that alone wouldn't be that Earth shattering, so I think they might enter the laptop/desktop market again?!

Comment

It's probably POWER10 on Samsung's 7nm which would fit their roadmap ("7nm" is sort-of a marketing term for 10nm-class).

Comment

Originally posted by Lycanthropist View Post
                  I really hope they'll announce a POWER platform that is price/performance competitive with amd64. Other than that I can't image anything else that might be big news.
                  Totally agree. POWER system is not very reachable/affordable compared with other architectures. An NUC-like blob-free POWER system would be amazing for hobbyists (or paranoids like me ).

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
                    so I think they might enter the laptop/desktop market again?!
                    As much as I am hoping they will bring back the IBM Thinkpad; this announcement is about POWER chips and I don't think those things should really go anywhere near a laptop! Yes, desktops would be very interesting though!

Comment

Working...
                    X