No announcement yet.

AMD Sends In Navi Support & Other Remaining AMDGPU Changes For Linux 5.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AMD needs to up its video encoding game!
    Not only they have the worst hardware encoder, but they still don't support 4:4:4 encoding. NVIDIA already does it since Maxwell, and Intel is going to do it on Ice Lake. AMD shall hurry up!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
      I have an RX 560, but I plan to upgrade to one of the Navi cards and buy a HDR + Freesync monitor
      HDR isn't done yet on Linux, so you won't be able to take advantage of that just yet.
      Freesync exists, but it's in it's infancy, so I would say the same here.

I want to be able to inspect in a graphical way that the connection (HDMI or DisplayPort) between the GPU and the monitor has what it takes for HDR and Freesync
      Screen configuration utilities may probably show this at some point, but quite honestly, it's something you check once when you buy a monitor, and you know it either works or not.

I want also to be able to inspect the temperature and the fan speed.
      Then I want to tweak the GPU as much as possible for better gaming performance and possibly for better mining in case I get into that.
      I want to be able to overclock / underclock and set fan profile depending on the situation.
      You can do all these things with the tools I mentioned.

Also I want to activate some power efficiency features like the frame limiting one for when the computer is idling.
      I literally never heard of that - and a web search doesn't turn up anything - can you explain what you mean there?

If you mean general power saving features like automatic downclocking, these work fine on the driver. With the tools I mentioned you can even adjust it. Also, undervolting is also a good option to save lots of power, and those toools also support that.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        I forget if this has been asked/answered, but now that we're actually seeing Navi-specific code, are we going to see a "radeonrdna" driver (or I guess maybe "radeonstars"), or is radeonsi going to remain the main driver in the foreseeable future? Either way works for me, but if RDNA really is as different as AMD/Su claims, I imagine that might warrant a new driver, to avoid any potential conflicts with the older one. This will be especially true if RDNA GPUs get a patch/feature that GCN doesn't.
        IIRC the userspace changes are split between llvm and mesa so neither area changed so much that a new subsystem was felt to be required**. At the moment I don't think we have a new mesa/gallium3d pipe driver or a new llvm target.

** of course it's always possible that the developers feel differently about things today than they did a year ago
        Test signature

Comment

Too bad that they still have not released the GPU control panel.
          I probably don't need to say this, but it's not just a matter of "releasing"... we would have to *implement* it first.

Yes the GUI is supposed to be cross-platform but a big chunk of the work is on the driver side.

Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by beniwtv View Post
            You can do all these things with the tools I mentioned.
            Including a GPU BIOS update with a custom one suited for mining?

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post

Including a GPU BIOS update with a custom one suited for mining?
              I'm not aware of any GUI tools to update the GPU BIOS.

Comment

Like this?
                AMD AMDVBFlash is used to flash the graphics card BIOS. The version released by ATI was called ATIFlash or just WinFlash. It supports all AMD Radeo

Concerning a control panel: That's really the last thing I personally would need. Since I'm lazy I do dualboot on my private pc, doing some gaming from my windows install. I really do not use the Windows control panel at all. I open it up when the big yearly driver update arrives, clicking on buttons for some 60 seconds, then put it away for another year. And while I must admit the AMD Panel gas gotten a nice look these days, I feel it to be pretty useless.

Comment

As I read the code (compiled it and run ;-)) 'Display Stream Compression support within the DC code' is only for/with DCN2_0 (Navi+)?!

Update 24-06-2019

Works after latest commit:
                  drm/amdgpu: fix modprobe failure for uvd_4/5/6

Alex sent this in for 5.3 already.
                  Last edited by nuetzel; 24 June 2019, 03:54 PM. Reason: Fix committed.

Comment

I want to be able to inspect in a graphical way that the connection (HDMI or DisplayPort) between the GPU and the monitor has what it takes for HDR and Freesync
                    i'm not sure what exactly you want to see, but i doubt it's amd-specific
                    I want also to be able to inspect the temperature and the fan speed.
                    sensors (from lm_sensors). or any gui for it.
                    Then I want to tweak the GPU as much as possible for better gaming performance and possibly for better mining in case I get into that.
                    I want to be able to overclock / underclock and set fan profile depending on the situation.
                    Also I want to activate some power efficiency features like the frame limiting one for when the computer is idling.
                    you have too much time, but in any case this is generic functionality, so it should be done by your desktop, not by amd

Comment

gnome software

Comment

Working...
                      X