Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Is Funding Improvements To KDE's KWin & More Work On X.Org

Phoronix: Valve Is Funding Improvements To KDE's KWin & More Work On X.Org

As some good news this week amid all the 32-bit Linux gaming drama this week and the networking snafu... Valve is now funding another developer to work on upstream open-source code, in particular on the KDE side this time with a developer who had been working for Blue Systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

too bad is only kde. i kind of hate it. every time i'm using KDE i feel like i have something stuck on my fingers and can't get rid of it.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
      too bad is only kde. i kind of hate it. every time i'm using KDE i feel like i have something stuck on my fingers and can't get rid of it.
      Every time I use Gnome I feel like I have something stuck on my screen that always gets in my way.

Comment

It seems there is now finally the chance that KWin Xorg vsync gets actually fixed? But I suppose fullscreen auto unredirect will still be missing, which would be essentially important for gaming.
        Well, and of course FreeSync support for Wayland/XWayland.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
          Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Every time I use Gnome I feel like I have something stuck on my screen that always gets in my way.
          Why do both of your comments make sense 😂

Comment

Originally posted by paupav View Post
            Why do both of your comments make sense 😂
            I think it's fair to say that both KDE and Gnome show some really nice development progress lately.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
              It seems there is now finally the chance that KWin Xorg vsync gets actually fixed? But I suppose fullscreen auto unredirect will still be missing, which would be essentially important for gaming.
              Well, and of course FreeSync support for Wayland/XWayland.
              I don't have any tearing or issues on my desktop running at 60hz using tildearrow's Kwin Low Latency with:
              • Scale Method -- Accurate
              • Rendering Backend -- OGL 3.1
              • VSync -- Automatic
              • Thumbnails -- Only for Shown
              • Allow applications to block compositing -- checked
              • Suspend compositor for full screen windows -- checked
              • Animation curve -- Sine
              • Latency -- Favor responsiveness
              • Maximum -- 8
              • Minimum -- 0

And with TearFree and EnablePageFlip both set to on in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-amdgpu.conf
              (they say is isn't necessary to have one of these anymore, but I have one because I know it works)
              (does anyone want or need my almost stock 20-amdgpu.conf?)

And with the various Plasma and compositing patches enabled in the cfgs for Proton/Wine stuff.

And with libstrangle when it's necessary...not nearly as necessary with my 580 as it was with my 260x. I used to cap my 260x at 30fps on games like KSP

Comment

I think it's fair to say that both KDE and Gnome show some really nice development progress lately.
                They both can be made into wonderful desktops and each has their respective pros and cons.

I just do not care for the GTK3 headerbar style or how many plugins are needed to make Gnome equal in features to Plasma. Just because I don't care for it doesn't make it a crappy product. I wish more of us were more open-minded in that regard.

With a few plugins, I'm perfectly comfortable on Gnome...but I can do all of that OOTB on Plasma and 29 years on a computer has taught me not to rely on plugins for long term support which is why I'd use Plasma, XFCE, or, oddly enough, Enlightenment. Enlightenment really has some potential and it sucks that it isn't targeted as a primary desktop or even at all these days.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  I don't have any tearing or issues on my desktop running at 60hz using tildearrow's Kwin Low Latency...
                  Me neither, but it isn't upstream, fullscreen unredirect doesn't work without issues and it puts too much pressure on my slow Gemini Lake SoC.
                  Thus I still prefer Compton's new Xrender backend, it's 100% free of issues for me with proper driver/xorg as a base.

Comment

Me neither, but it isn't upstream, fullscreen unredirect doesn't work without issues and it puts too much pressure on my slow Gemini Lake SoC.
                    Thus I still prefer Compton's new Xrender backend, it's 100% free of issues for me with proper driver/xorg as a base.
                    Gotcha. I haven't used SoC GPUs outside of my smartphones in a long time that weren't on someones' Windows computer I was fixing.

Comment

Working...
                    X