Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netflix Uncovers TCP Bugs Within The Linux & FreeBSD Kernels

Phoronix: Netflix Uncovers TCP Bugs Within The Linux & FreeBSD Kernels

As Netflix's first security bulletin for 2019, they warned of TCP-based remote denial of service vulnerabilities affecting both Linux and FreeBSD. These vulnerabilities are rated "critical" but already being corrected within the latest Git code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

this news is a bit latish, ..! ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8akg0mPyflw

Comment

A few minutes after the announcement my PC was already running 5.1.11. Too bad it's gonna take quite some time before OpenWRT updates their images. They haven't even applied the patches yet

As a workaround you can run

Code:
      sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_sack=0
      Last edited by birdie; 18 June 2019, 08:00 AM.

Comment

So they're being fixed in Linux. What about FreeBSD? Shouldn't Netflix fix it in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
          So they're being fixed in Linux. What about FreeBSD? Shouldn't Netflix fix it in the first place?
          Default FreeBSD is not even affected.

Comment

https://github.com/Netflix/security-...it_limit.patch
            Netflix's provided patch for FreeBSD (12)

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              A few minutes after the announcement my PC was already running 5.1.11. Too bad it's gonna take quite some time before OpenWRT updates their images. They haven't even applied the patches yet

As a workaround you can run

Code:
              sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_sack=0
              My understanding is this can slow down TCP connections - you are better off using the iptables rule

Code:
              iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcpmss --mss 1:500 -j DROP
              Suse's advisory suggests this -> https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=7023928

Comment

Linux Os has to improve in security and efficiency.

Comment

Originally posted by yossarianuk View Post

Code:
                  iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcpmss --mss 1:500 -j DROP
                  It is much preferred to use "iptables -I INPUT" instead of "iptables -A INPUT". Depending on rules in your chain, -A could possibly cause much cpu load if the rule is heavily processed.

At HN it is suggested to use "-t raw -I PREROUTING", which could be of benefit especially with heavy traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                    Linux Os has to improve in security and efficiency.
                    Like any other OS. However, Linux beats commercial OS'es by a large margin. Windows and OS X are far behind when comes to audit.

Comment

Working...
                    X