ZFS On Linux 0.8.1 Brings Many Fixes, Linux 5.2 Compatibility Bits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZFS On Linux 0.8.1 Brings Many Fixes, Linux 5.2 Compatibility Bits

Phoronix: ZFS On Linux 0.8.1 Brings Many Fixes, Linux 5.2 Compatibility Bits

Released at the end of May was the huge ZFS On Linux 0.8 release with many new features like native encryption, TRIM/discard support for SSDs, device removal, Python 3 compatibility with its tooling, pool check-points, and much more. Out today is now the first maintenance release following that big release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope Oracle sends them a cease and desist letter. This project isn't even a waste of time, it's just harmful.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
      I hope Oracle sends them a cease and desist letter. This project isn't even a waste of time, it's just harmful.
      Well, I think it is pretty cool even though I am just starting to get into using it, right now just in a virtual image with virtual disk images. Basically to learn. Do we have anything better on Linux yet that covers RAID and all the rest, all together, not just a bunch of layered stuff? Seriously, do we?

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
        Well, I think it is pretty cool even though I am just starting to get into using it, right now just in a virtual image with virtual disk images. Basically to learn. Do we have anything better on Linux yet that covers RAID and all the rest, all together, not just a bunch of layered stuff? Seriously, do we?
        We do not, also don't mind the troll :P

Comment

It is weird, how many times will this out of tree drive face situations like this?

Comment

LVM exists.

Comment

Layered is closer to the unix philosophy of small sharp tools but I guess we have not been letting that stand in the way of progress with Linux, Systemd, etc. I'd like ZFS in the kernel, but for now we have layers(lvm/crypt/integrity/fs) or the feature lacking buggy btrfs.

Comment

You don't.

ZFS doesn't compete with MD, LVM and ext4/xfs.. it competes with NetApp and EMC.

Big big data.. pretty sure Twitter is on ZFS. (Edit: It was, not any longer? Tho there are other large customers and products)

IT professionals rely on Datto for mission-critical business continuity and disaster recovery, networking, business management, and file backup and sync solutions

Providing core compute, storage, networking and security features and services globally and in line with major cloud provider solutions.

Nexenta’s Open Source-driven Software-Defined Storage solutions provide organizations with Total Freedom by protecting them against punitive vendor lock-in.

Revolutionize your AI & HPC ops with DDN® data storage & management solutions. Achieve peak performance, seamless cloud integration & scalable efficiency.

And of course.. https://www.ixsystems.com/truenas

I think some company with an O has a product too.. idk I avoid them on principle.. And their version sucks anyhow.
                Last edited by k1e0x; 14 June 2019, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
                  Layered is closer to the unix philosophy of small sharp tools but I guess we have not been letting that stand in the way of progress with Linux, Systemd, etc. I'd like ZFS in the kernel, but for now we have layers(lvm/crypt/integrity/fs) or the feature lacking buggy btrfs.
                  Layered isn't the right choice in a FS. A FS should be stable and not subject to breakage thanks to moving parts. FSes as they are now are to brittle to handle the cases were an upgrade goes wrong. And our best protection against that case is still duplicating data.

Compare that to utilities that can be piped together. If one version of ls is giving you problems, it doesn't destroy your data, the OS or anything else. (Yes it could if a really buggy version existed, but you get what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
                    ZFS doesn't compete with MD, LVM and ext4/xfs.. it competes with NetApp and EMC.
                    Stop you have a mistake.

MD, LVM and ext4/xfs are used in solutions that are used as alternatives to NetAPP and ZFS like https://stratis-storage.github.io/faq/. Please note I did not type EMC.
                    Dell bietet Technologielösungen, Services und Support. Notebooks, Touchscreen-PCs, Desktop-PCs, Server, Speicher, Monitore, Gaming und Zubehör kaufen

EMC in fact backs using xfs in a lot of their configurations. EMC provides the block device and volume management side integration into LVM.

So if ZFS competes with EMC it has to compete in part with the xfs file system because the xfs file system is part of EMC solutions.

Comment

Working...
                    X