Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

/proc/pid/arch_status Is Coming To Show Architecture-Specific Details Of A Given Task

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• /proc/pid/arch_status Is Coming To Show Architecture-Specific Details Of A Given Task

Phoronix: /proc/pid/arch_status Is Coming To Show Architecture-Specific Details Of A Given Task

To be exposed via /proc/[pid]/arch_status is a new interface for exposing architectural-specific information for a given Linux process...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Meanwhile neither top, nor ps can show process architecture (32/64bit) - a feature which has been available in taskmgr.exe since Windows XP 64.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
      Meanwhile neither top, nor ps can show process architecture (32/64bit) - a feature which has been available in taskmgr.exe since Windows XP 64.
      Probably because none cares even on Windows?

Showing the usage of AVX512 instruaction matters, as that's a very heat-intensive instruction.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Probably because none cares even on Windows?

Showing the usage of AVX512 instruaction matters, as that's a very heat-intensive instruction.
        You may not care but others do. It would be interesting to see if a process is 32 bit or 64 bit. The kernel has the information so makes sense to make it available. Sometimes people just want to know out of curiosity

Comment

Originally posted by jpg44 View Post
          You may not care but others do.
          All those that can add it or pay to have it added don't care.
          I've never seen any argument that supports the need to see the bitness of a process, even on Windows (especially on Windows where it's pretty easy to spot a 32bit application as they go in "Program Files x86").

That's enough to claim none cares in my book.

Random end users don't matter. They never matter. Opensource isn't different.

Comment

How about:
            file -L /proc/$PID/exe

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              All those that can add it or pay to have it added don't care.
              I've never seen any argument that supports the need to see the bitness of a process, even on Windows (especially on Windows where it's pretty easy to spot a 32bit application as they go in "Program Files x86").

That's enough to claim none cares in my book.

Random end users don't matter. They never matter. Opensource isn't different.
              Weird bubble you live in.

Comment

Don't even mention that crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Compartmentalisation View Post

Weird bubble I live in.
                  fixed

Comment

Originally posted by Compartmentalisation View Post

Weird bubble you live in.
                    He is right. I support some "random end users" and they really don't care.
                    If you care, I would call you at least a super/power user or maybe you are even a administrator.

Originally posted by fguerraz View Post
                    file -L /proc/$PID/exe
                    Thanks for the trick. I still don't know if I would ever need this information but it is added to the collection.

Comment

Working...
                    X