SiFive RISC-V SoCs Can Now Be Paired With A GPU... Imagination's PowerVR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SiFive RISC-V SoCs Can Now Be Paired With A GPU... Imagination's PowerVR

Phoronix: SiFive RISC-V SoCs Can Now Be Paired With A GPU... Imagination's PowerVR

If you want a SiFive SoC for the royalty-free, open-source RISC-V architecture it's now possible to pair it with graphics. Unfortunately, the graphics option is about as far from open-source as possible...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I prefere seam cheaper price and ethernet with U Cores 64-bit application processors. And maybe lot of more cores.
    Last edited by alpha_one_x86; 21 May 2019, 08:25 AM.
    Developer of Ultracopier/CatchChallenger and CEO of Confiared

Comment

If PowerVR turns over a new leaf and makes AMD/Intel levels of FOSS drivers for their GPUs then this will be a good thing. If not, it'll be interesting, because I don't believe multiarch exists on RISC-V (as in 32-bit userspace with a 64-bit kernel) since there isn't a pre-existing legacy 32-bit Linux for RISC-V 64G, and PowerVR has consistently (on ARM and Intel) delivered 32-bit-only GPU drivers for their GPUs on all platforms.

Comment

i would prefer pcie slots ( or thunderbolt ) to install my gpu of choice . Btw any news on open source gpus ?

Comment

Oh, sweet irony

I'd be much more interested in, say, Broadcom's Videocore 5 ()

Comment

My hypothesis is that hardware people don't see the irony because they all use Windows.

Whether there is any irony depends on their target audience, but I like that Michael spelled it out so clearly.

Comment

I'm not even surprised. This is what happens when you release something under a permissive license. It's about as free as Nintendo Switch, yet there will be RISC-V people who will be hyped about this.

Comment

Originally posted by GunpowaderGuy View Post
                i would prefer pcie slots ( or thunderbolt ) to install my gpu of choice . Btw any news on open source gpus ?
                I don’t believe that PCIE slots are in the cards so to speak!

As for open source GPUs haven’t heard much lately in that regard.

As for PowerVR I was actually hoping SoftBank would have caused a change of heart. Imagination would never have suffered so badly when Apple pulled out if their hardware was more accessible and widely used. If that was going to happen though SoftBank would have released documentation already.

Comment

Originally posted by DoMiNeLa10 View Post
                  I'm not even surprised. This is what happens when you release something under a permissive license. It's about as free as Nintendo Switch, yet there will be RISC-V people who will be hyped about this.
                  What does the license have to do with this?

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post

What does the license have to do with this?
                    If RISC-V were licensed under a copyleft, it would be impossible to combine it with non-free components (putting a RISC-V core and a proprietary GPU is combining them, a proper copyleft would enforce the GPU to move under the same license or make the resulting chip non-compliant with the license), and there would be nothing to talk about.

I'm worried that RISC-V will end up being as awful as ARM was back in the day, with every SoC manufacturer providing their crappy out-of-tree kernel that won't get updated. Considering that this architecture isn't established, it might be the cause of its death.

Comment

Working...
                    X