No announcement yet.

Xfce 4.14 Sees Its Long-Awaited Pre-Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im happy to see some xfce developments, finally some news that allows all the ****xfce**** user accounts here to post on topic :-)

Comment

Originally posted by retardxfce View Post
      XFeces does not have high DPI support, since XFeces developers and users do not have high DPI screens.
      That's not true. XFCE doesn't set your DPI automatically, but it's possible to change the DPI system wide. I use XFCE on a high DPI screen without any problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Baguy View Post

It honestly feels smoother than most desktops even if there is latency. Kwin-lowlatency helps make plasma feel similar, but i don't think it's quite as smooth as XFCE. (saying this as a plasma fan) ... That said, it could just be a sugar pill, as XFCE was one of the first Linux desktops i viewed as a favorite.
        Note that I didn't mention KWin-lowlatency at any time. I just wanted to say that xfwm with VSync on will add a notable amount of latency, and as such I wanted to provide a small fix (a line of code).

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
          does the GTK3 port mean XFCE 4.14 has Wayland support?
          No. It does mean that XFCE _apps_ are closer to working on Wayland, since with GTK2 that was simply impossible – but it doesn't mean the apps don't still have hard dependencies on X11. And it's irrelevant for the desktop itself, since GTK is only the widget toolkit – it's up to someone else to provide a Wayland compositor.

Comment

xfce 4.12 is best modern de, no lag, best for gaming, runs tuxcart at 60fps. 4.14 is gtk3 is buggy ibm software

coupled with SysVinit, modern, stable fast and secure, year of linux desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              debianxfce, got anything to say?
              under his New Names he does, watch this space

Comment

Originally posted by xfcemint View Post
                I don't know about that. If you show me a Raspberry Pi running KDE, I'll believe it.
                This guy did it 3 years ago: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...c.php?t=149013

But this argument is a red herring anyway. Plasma is not worse on the desktop because you supposedly can't run it on embedded.

Comment

xfcemint

debianxfce

devuanxfce

retardxfce
                  Last edited by Anvil; 20 May 2019, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

But this argument is a red herring anyway. Plasma is not worse on the desktop because you supposedly can't run it on embedded.
                    A Raspberry Pi with ~1Gig RAM and 4 core 1.2+ processor is not embedded. Low powered yes, but certainly not embedded.

A desktop environment that cannot run on that kind of configuration is not practical for a lot of use-cases. Do you think many servers have a better GPU (and driver support) than the Raspberry PI?

If a server doesn't need a GUI, what do hundreds of thin-clients connect to? What does the rendering of the fat impractical GUI?

I'll tell you what the thin clients connect to. They connect to Windows Server via RDP because Linux cannot get its shite together regarding desktop environments (or even its fundamental display system these days (Wayland)) XD
                    Last edited by kpedersen; 20 May 2019, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                      Ikea uses the Xfce desktop and Swedish people are smarter than many others.
                      https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comme...kea_uses_xfce/
                      Except that's not XFCE.

It's a Red Hat thin client. You should probably read the links you post.

Comment

Working...
                      X