Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeBSD ZFS vs. ZoL Performance, Ubuntu ZFS On Linux Reference

Phoronix: FreeBSD ZFS vs. ZoL Performance, Ubuntu ZFS On Linux Reference

With iX Systems having released new images of FreeBSD reworked with their ZFS On Linux code that is in development to ultimately replace their existing FreeBSD ZFS support derived from the code originally found in the Illumos source tree, here are some fresh benchmarks looking at the FreeBSD 12 performance of ZFS vs. ZoL vs. UFS and compared to Ubuntu Linux on the same system with EXT4 and ZFS.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool. Nice to see the newer version is faster. Also may explain why NetFlix uses UFS.

Ubuntu is using the 4.18 kernel but Linux 5.0+ is known to have performance problems with ZoL?
    Also is that ZoL 7.13 on Ubuntu or 8.0?

Comment

What is that huge Linux - FreeBSD storage performance difference due to ?
      In past I was used to see quite the opposite (Linux far ahead regardless filesystem), now maybe due to the new massive cpu security patches ?

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post
        Cool. Nice to see the newer version is faster. Also may explain why NetFlix uses UFS.

Ubuntu is using the 4.18 kernel but Linux 5.0+ is known to have performance problems with ZoL?
        Using the Ubuntu provided package, it would be ZoL 0.7.5-1ubuntu15.

FWIW, I haven't noticed any performance problems with ZoL 0.8 from release until now (rc4), though I only have one drive using ZFS at the moment and I haven't bothered doing any benchmarks (that drive has all my Steam games on it so I'd notice if its performance went down).

Comment

I would have liked to see ZoL on the Linux 5.0 kernel thrown into the mix. As far as I know any performance problems are just speculation. I haven't seen any real tests on it. Or it could be that it performs basically the same but just has higher CPU usage.

Comment

Pretty interesting tests. I'm planning on making a little in-house distro for embedded systems for myself and I'm debating on a Linux or FreeBSD base. Been leaning on FreeBSD for a while and it's nice to know performance isn't of much consideration now.

Comment

Where is the freaking illumos on the charts??? WTH?? SmartOS, OmniOS, Dilos, Openindiana.. OpenZFS..
              Comparison with Solaris 11 proprietrary ZFS...
              Very bad guys to intentionally FORGET form where Zfs came from..

Comment

may explain why NetFlix uses UFS.
                They use UFS because they don't care for data integrity at the server/VM level. They are using Amazon datacenters to store their media and virtual servers anyway.

No it is not known. There is some speculation.

Comment

Originally posted by Markore View Post
                  Where is the freaking illumos on the charts??? WTH?? SmartOS, OmniOS, Dilos, Openindiana.. OpenZFS..
                  Did you miss the title?

FreeBSD ZFS vs. ZoL Performance, Ubuntu ZFS On Linux Reference

It's not about forgetting, it's about relevance in the modern world.

Comment

Originally posted by Markore View Post
                    Comparison with Solaris 11 proprietrary ZFS...
                    Hey, where's the Xenix benchmarks? That was the first big UNIX product that made it an industry standard. Pretty bad they got to benchmark the origin of UNIX in the industry huh?

Comment

Working...
                    X