Sam Hartman Is Debian's Newest Project Leader, Aims To "Keep Debian Fun"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sam Hartman Is Debian's Newest Project Leader, Aims To "Keep Debian Fun"

Phoronix: Sam Hartman Is Debian's Newest Project Leader, Aims To "Keep Debian Fun"

While initially no qualified candidates stepped forward for the 2019 Debian Project Leader elections, following the extended nomination period and voting, Sam Hartman has been elected the newest leader of Debian...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Debian is not fun when it isn't safe—when we are not respected, when we are harassed, or when we (rather than our ideas) are judged. I support our Code of Conduct.
    The SJW rot is deep within Debian. No wonder no one wanted to lead it. Let it burn.

Comment

He's got some valid points but he's also asking for the impossible. The larger your target userbase is, the harder it is to please everyone. This is why distros like Gentoo practically never get much negative criticism: it has a narrow demographic which is expected to make their own informed decisions. Debian tries to reach out pretty far, so when you make decisions like remove packages for offensive names, nitpick about security features, implement polarizing software by default, or adopt a CoC, you're going to piss people off. I'm not saying they're wrong to make such decisions (considering who they want to appeal to) but we live in a world where everyone feels entitled to have their opinions and feelings catered to, and that's where the disagreements and bickering come in. I'm not sure it's possible to make Debian fun if they want to appeal to such a wide demographic.
      Last edited by schmidtbag; 21 April 2019, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        This is why distros like Gentoo practically never get much negative criticism:
        Apart from being a commonly used meme, and also a common 4chan answer to many PC issues, that is.

Last edited by starshipeleven; 21 April 2019, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eggbert View Post

The SJW rot is deep within Debian. No wonder no one wanted to lead it. Let it burn.
          I agree that this is a real worry for any project (since 3 years ago this weird trend started?).

However luckily SJWs rarely have the attention span (or the effort) to get deep within a project. They blow in, spout a load of crap and get bored once people get back to real work. So they leave.

For me Debian is important even though I rarely use it directly. For example lots of SoC prototype boards use some derivative of it, same with Android based chroots. So I hope that it does keep on alive for many years to come.

The idea of "more fun" scares me a bit. Hopefully they wont just focus on gimmicky crap just because it is "trendy and fun", like C# in the kernel XD.

Comment

I can't care less about Debian. It's an awful distro with a backwards idea of handling software (plenty of own patches, effort wasted on backporting fixes to play into their versioning paranoia). Arch became the only distro I really care about when it comes to something that's quick to set up and easy to use. Developers know when their software is ready, and keeping versions which were outdated for years around, and wasting time with backporting isn't worth it. On top of that, their shitty "alternative" system breaks the second you use something outside of their package manager, and forces you to make symlinks to your suckless software manually if you want to play with their system. Oh, and enjoy updates that revert things to their enforced preferences, it's as bad as Windows.

It can die for all I care, I'll be happy to see that happen, as it will get rid of other crappy distros.

Comment

I tried many distributions but by far Debian testing/sid was the worst. It was a nightmare and after switching to Arch Linux I could for the first time enjoy a system that is not blocked by strange policies, dependencies and package management. Up until now I don't understand why they make something simple so complex that everybody claims their fear of updating software as stability.

Comment

He's got some valid points but he's also asking for the impossible. The larger your target userbase is, the harder it is to please everyone.
                It's not about pleasing everyone.

It's about keeping discussions constructive, and also keeping discussions on content level, not going in emotional personal fights or flames.

Comment

Good luck for him, I'd dropped of being an administrator of a local game group, which I was one of the co-creators, because the fight between the members, one user complaining about another spreading gossips, one complaining about too strict conversations rules, another complaining about the rules being too loose.

And we had less than 100 users on that group, imagine trying to please everyone on Debian community and keeping it "fun"

Comment

He's got some valid points but he's also asking for the impossible.
                    At least he won't troll about FreeSync like debianxfce... since he is blind.

A bit of black comedy, no offense

Comment

Working...
                    X