Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel Iris Driver Gets ~5% Performance Boost With Direct3D 9 Support On Gallium Nine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Iris Driver Gets ~5% Performance Boost With Direct3D 9 Support On Gallium Nine

Phoronix: Intel Iris Driver Gets ~5% Performance Boost With Direct3D 9 Support On Gallium Nine

The Gallium Nine state tracker providing Direct3D 9 API support for Windows games/applications running on Linux under Wine will now be a little bit faster when using Intel's new Iris Gallium3D driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

windows steam client works on wine

Comment

Originally posted by tichun
      All nice and games, but steam doesn't care about gallium
      Why would they?

DX9 over Vulkan is a much better idea.

Comment

Originally posted by tichun
        All nice and games, but steam doesn't care about gallium
        Now that there is nine-standalone and even a winetricks verb for it, enabling gallium nine with proton is trivial:

Code:
        export WINEPREFIX=~/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/<APPID>/pfx
        winetricks galliumnine

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Do not use proton, it does not use wine-staging and latest dxv that both supports more games. Install the windows steam client. The store page does not work, so install games with: wine Steam.exe -applaunch appID.
          I would rather just wait until they update it instead of having the game I bought count as a Windows one. It's already pretty hard for most devs to justify a Linux port with the current stats.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
            DX9 over Vulkan is a much better idea.
            DX9 over Vulkan is better than just directly rendering DX9 calls on the GPU? Gallium Nine is a good project because it removes an entire translation layer. Of course, rendering over Vulkan is nice since it adds more portability, but if you care about maximizing performance, Nine is better as far as I'm aware.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeder View Post

I would rather just wait until they update it instead of having the game I bought count as a Windows one. It's already pretty hard for most devs to justify a Linux port with the current stats.
              Current stats says 5566 for Linux and 29284 for Windows. While increasment for linux titles was huge over the years and ratio was always going up, that is still just about 19% in comparison to Windows.

https://store.steampowered.com/searc...1=998&os=linux

You could wait as much as you want, but It is mission utter impossible all these 81% of remaining games old or new to be ported to native by anybody

Altough i might agree on a bit declining trends since protonism pushover for native there as ratio was about 19.6% 6 months ago and now is 19.0%

But that might not be related as OS X also have declining ratio trend, was 30% and now is 29.3%

Khm, maybe because Microsoft bought github and couple game studios last year, etc... maybe that relates better as with that some declinations are expected

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_by_Microsoft
              Last edited by dungeon; 26 March 2019, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Current stats says 5566 for Linux and 29284 for Windows. While increasment for linux titles was huge over the years and ratio was always going up, that is still just about 19% in comparison to Windows.

https://store.steampowered.com/searc...1=998&os=linux

You could wait as much as you want, but It is mission utter impossible all these 81% of remaining games old or new to be ported to native by anybody

Altough i might agree on a bit declining trends since protonism pushover for native there as ratio was about 19.6% 6 months ago and now is 19.0%

But that might not be related as OS X also have declining ratio trend, was 30% and now is 29.3%

Khm, maybe because Microsoft bought github and couple game studios last year, etc... maybe that relates better as with that some declinations are expected

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_by_Microsoft
                I'm not talking about waiting for a native port. I'm talking about waiting for Valve to update the dxvk library bundled with Proton, as opposed to installing the Windows client and having any purchase made through it count as a Windows one.

Games you buy on Linux and run in Proton still count as Linux sales.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeder View Post

I'm not talking about waiting for a native port. I'm talking about waiting for Valve to update the dxvk library bundled with Proton, as opposed to installing the Windows client and having any purchase made through it count as a Windows one.

Games you buy on Linux and run in Proton still count as Linux sales.
                  You can always just enable proton for all games. There's a setting for that.

Then install galliumnine via winetricks if the game is DX9. That's what I do for some of my games.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    DX9 over Vulkan is better than just directly rendering DX9 calls on the GPU? Gallium Nine is a good project because it removes an entire translation layer. Of course, rendering over Vulkan is nice since it adds more portability, but if you care about maximizing performance, Nine is better as far as I'm aware.
                    I would actually want to see benchmarks to argue that once a compatible DX9->Vulkan layer is out. I doubt Gallum would show a noticeable performance difference, if any. Vulkan's driver overhead is near-zero, there's not much more to gain.

Comment

Working...
                    X