Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MATE 1.22 Released - Inching Towards Wayland Support, Better Systemd Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MATE 1.22 Released - Inching Towards Wayland Support, Better Systemd Integration

Phoronix: MATE 1.22 Released - Inching Towards Wayland Support, Better Systemd Integration

MATE 1.22 is now available as the latest feature update for this fork of the GNOME 2 desktop components...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I can't choose anymore. There are so much good DE's nowadays! Gnome 3.32 is finaly usable thanks to Canonicals performance improvements. MATE is full of features, fully customizable, good looking and has HUD. KDE is extremely smooth and customizable.

Comment

Originally posted by paupav View Post
      I can't choose anymore. There are so much good DE's nowadays! Gnome 3.32 is finaly usable thanks to Canonicals performance improvements. MATE is full of features, fully customizable, good looking and has HUD. KDE is extremely smooth and customizable.
      Yeah. No matter your preference or how you want to get your work done, there's probably an environment that suites your needs. I've had a blast just trying stuff out lately. So many different distributions and desktops these days...both amazing and daunting...

Gnome 2 was my very first Linux desktop (on Debain) back around 2002 or so. It's great that it's still alive, modern, and awesome in MATE.

Comment

Gnome 3.32 is finaly usable thanks to Canonicals performance improvements
        Just to ensure credit goes where due, Georges Stavracas (aka feaneron) from Endless also did quite a few performance improvements, the more stable FPS and faster icon grid drawing (e.g. in the apps list) was from one of several large refactorings by him: https://feaneron.com/2019/01/31/gnom...aster-cleaner/

He also contributed to fixing the memory issue from the Shell: https://feaneron.com/2018/04/20/the-...l-memory-leak/

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
          There is no sense to waste hardware resources and your time to buggy and slow gnome3 and kde desktops. You can custom the Xfce desktop freely. F.ex you can not customize 3 start menus in Kde. The Whisker menu is the best.
          As long as you don't mind using a DE that hasn't even had a bugfix update in over 4 years.

Comment

In fact, the choises are only two for me: Xfce, Lxqt. I abandoned almost every gtk3 applications, Firefox and Libreoffice have no alternatives, because the gtk3 libs are dangerous. You can guess which DE I've been using.

Comment

mate 1.22 has been out for almost a month, but they couldn't edit their website or something

Comment

Originally posted by calc View Post

As long as you don't mind using a DE that hasn't even had a bugfix update in over 4 years.
                Any idea why it is so? Is the code base a mess or just few developers and too little time?

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Any idea why it is so? Is the code base a mess or just few developers and too little time?
                  From what I've gathered, It's the developers and time part.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    From what I've gathered, It's the developers and time part.
                    FWIW Mate has very few developers as well, but it seems at least one of them knows how to be a release manager.

The too few developers issue seems to affect all DEs except Gnome and KDE.
                    Last edited by calc; 19 March 2019, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X