Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.0-rc3 Kernel Released With Plenty Of Fixes Plus Nouveau RTX 2080 Ti Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.0-rc3 Kernel Released With Plenty Of Fixes Plus Nouveau RTX 2080 Ti Support

Phoronix: Linux 5.0-rc3 Kernel Released With Plenty Of Fixes Plus Nouveau RTX 2080 Ti Support

Linus Torvalds has released the third weekly release candidate for the upcoming Linux 5.0 kernel release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Running very well for me after they fixed a dma/iommu bug that made amdgpu hang. This release may be one of the best ever, good performance (new cursor fast path is a must), new cool features (freesync!) and no big kernel related problems yet.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
      This nvme bug fix is most interesting:
      https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...3&id2=v5.0-rc2
      [/CODE]
      I suggest linking to a specific commit as it gives some info/background on the change, see:
      https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux...cb37289f3116b9
      Last edited by Zajec; 21 January 2019, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by clapbr View Post
        Running very well for me after they fixed a dma/iommu bug that made amdgpu hang. This release may be one of the best ever, good performance (new cursor fast path is a must), new cool features (freesync!) and no big kernel related problems yet.
        Yep, that fix is very welcome.

Comment

You can find that via my link. How about thanking me noting this instead of whining. I am interested about the code only and do not read people magazines.
          Ah, right, stupid developers with their descriptions & comments.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
            Can you provide the link for the bug report and/or commit of this issue please?
            Once issue I'm aware of is: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=201727

Comment

You can find that via my link. How about thanking me noting this instead of whining. I am interested about the code only and do not read people magazines.
              Most people want a summary of what the patch does as most have no clue of what that a random patch taken out of context does, AND don't usually care enough to spend 30 minutes to learn it if they can just read a description that tells them in 5 minutes.

Comment

It is much easier to read the code than a long verbal description of it. Only the topic of a patch is interesting, you need to test it anyway so use 5 minutes for testing.
                Speak for yourself. Most people don't know the kernel source by heart like you that live on a highly self-patched kernel based off some unstable bleeding edge amd development fork, nor are using a system that can compile a kernel in less than a hour.

I repeat, for most people the text description of a patch is more important than the raw diff to understand what it does.

Comment

Working...
                X