Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MoltenVK Sees Big Update To Jump-Start Vulkan On macOS In 2019

Phoronix: MoltenVK Sees Big Update To Jump-Start Vulkan On macOS In 2019

Next month MoltenVK will celebrate one year since being open-sourced for allowing the Vulkan API to function on Apple's macOS/iOS by mapping the Vulkan calls to the Apple Metal graphics/compute API. Just in time for that first birthday, a big MoltenVK update is now available...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It will be nice when DXVK works with MoltenVK.

Comment

Now macOS is going to need an OpenGL 2/3/4.x to Metal 2 runtime translation library. I'm suddenly guessing a crap load of games on Steam for Mac will break when Apple finally pulls the plug on the their deprecated and unoptimized OpenGL and OpenGL ES implementations, in a future macOS release?

There is MoltenGL but that appears to only target the older subset OpenGL ES 2 API.
      Last edited by Xaero_Vincent; 18 January 2019, 05:18 AM.

Comment

I'm guessing this will continue for another 4-5 years before Apple admits defeat and moves to Vulkan.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
          I'm guessing this will continue for another 4-5 years before Apple admits defeat and moves to Vulkan.
          I don't see that happening. Apple doesn't care about games, especially on OS X.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
            Now macOS is going to need an OpenGL 2/3/4.x to Metal 2 runtime translation library. I'm suddenly guessing a crap load of games on Steam for Mac will break when Apple finally pulls the plug on the their deprecated and unoptimized OpenGL and OpenGL ES implementations, in a future macOS release?

There is MoltenGL but that appears to only target the older subset OpenGL ES 2 API.
            Presumably Mac users are already used to newer releases of their OS not supporting their old software. I don't think Apple try to maintain a high level of compatibility between each new version of OS X.

I expect someone will produce a runtime translation lib, like you suggested.

Comment

Feral have made it clear they won’t be using MoltenVK, they have their own DX-Metal/Vulkan porting libraries. Besides, MoltenVK is lacking quite a few features (Tessellation support being one).

Comment

Working...
              X