Samba 4.10 RC1 Released: Adds Offline Domain Backups, Now Defaults To Python 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    Yeah, that's one of the reasons Samba is a pig with CPU load (relevant only for embedded devices admittedly).
    What are you talking about? Samba itself is written in C, python is mainly used for the AD-DC related setup, management tasks/tools and the WAF build system. The default samba4 openwrt package runs completely without python installed.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

I would really like some form of guided setup script/wizard for Samba in OpenWrt.
      Basically you just grab the package via the web ui from the repo, install it and than setup a share in the luci gui. The basic setup for samba4 is the same as samba3, the main difference is that you need to switch from netbios to wsdd2 (windows 10) and/or avahi (macOS, Linux). So those extra packages need to-be installed as well, so you can browse, find the shares in the explorer, finders.

Comment

Originally posted by andy22 View Post

What are you talking about? Samba itself is written in C, python is mainly used for the AD-DC related setup, management tasks/tools and the WAF build system. The default samba4 openwrt package runs completely without python installed.
        Speaking of which, I wanted to ask this for quite some time, actually: a lot of people on here dislike Autotools, but also dislike Meson, while CMake often gets some praise. But what about WAF?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
          Speaking of which, I wanted to ask this for quite some time, actually: a lot of people on here dislike Autotools, but also dislike Meson, while CMake often gets some praise. But what about WAF?
          Can only speak from the point of a package maintainer, i have WAF via samba4 and cmake via softether5 and normal make for other stuff. WAF as used via samba4 is a pain to figure out and getting a working openwrt makefiles took months, WAF + samba4 is the most complicated and crazy build process i have ever seen. It will just happily pull in any lib it finds on the host system, making cross compiling a pain to sort out lib dependencies. Just look at my makefile.... (https://github.com/Andy2244/openwrt-...amba4/Makefile) i basically have to add rules for every possible lib samba4 supports. The cherry on top is that i need qemu to actually cross-compile it via WAF...

I suspect thats not WAF's fault, but rather because samba4 is a monster project. I also don't like the stupid and buggy make wrapper they put ontop waf. Yet i find cmake files much more easy to read than the WAF python rule files.

Cmake was quite easy to adapt and maintain, while it also tends to have some oddities. I really like how easy it was to add lib dependencies, check for specific lib versions and locations and setup shared vs static builds. The cmake online tutorial is also excellent compared to WAF.
          Last edited by andy22; 16 January 2019, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andy22 View Post
            PS: Currently i try to switch from external MIT-Kerberos to internal Heimdal.
            can you please do so, since mit kerberos is unsupported by upstream. They refuse to issue security updates for bugs in mit kerberos builds.

Comment

Working...
            X