More GNOME Performance Optimizations Being Tackled Thanks To Canonical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    skeevy420 I do fine without any Qt software. Those few interesting apps is really not worth the hassle.
    That reads to me like "I don't use a computer so I don't need Qt software". I am also very lazy so that's why I don't bother with wiping toolkits from my computer and just use software that fits my needs - is it written in Qt, GTK or maybe Motif I don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      V1tol that was also my initial lazy approach. Then I grew older and more lazy. That’s the point where you give up on dealing with inconsistent design. I wish there was a way to filter apps rather than learning it the hard way.
      IMHO, it's more work to be restrictive than it is to be lazy by setting GTK and QT to use the same theme and then just go with it (Kvantum helps a lot with that).

I'd just rather use programs that I consider useful and good and not really care what UI toolkit it uses. As long as a program doesn't pull in an entire desktop suite for its dependencies, I'll consider it. If I can make it look like everything else, even better, but not a hard requirement. Functionality over form.

Comment

Originally posted by Cape View Post
        I think that developing a DE in C is bad idea in 2019.
        Using C to develop desktop apps is painful and unnecessary, and it introduces tons of memory problems that should be easy to avoid. The fact that GTK doesn't actually work properly with Object Orientated languages is actually it's biggest drawback. You lose all the nice string handling capabilities of C++. The GTKMM bindings for C++ are useless because callbacks all have to be manually connected to functions inside of classes (thousands of lines of boilerplate code). So any complex applications just aren't worth the time to make. The WYSIWYG editor for GTK, Glade is not useful in C++, Objective-C or any other Object Orientated language. I gave up on GTK programming last year when I realised that short of a major change to GTK to add support for OOP there's just no point bothering.
        Last edited by DMJC; 15 January 2019, 02:04 PM.

Comment

just imagine world without unity and mir

Comment

Originally posted by paupav View Post
            That approach is saving space even more than CSD
            csd has nothing to do with saving space, why do you comment on subjects you have no clue about?

Comment

Originally posted by buzzrobot View Post
              Canonical needed something to replace Gnome 2, rather quickly. At the time, Unity had its warts and bumps but was arguably a better choice than the initial release of Gnome 3.
              because canonical wasted precious manhours on producing warts and bumps in unity instead of improving gnome 3

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
                Canonical built on the existing and universally accepted Compiz, while Gnome decided to create something new.
                gnome improved their old metacity which is many years older than new compiz

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                  If you're a Gnome/Mate/XFCE user then you'll run QT if you use VLC, SMPlayer, K3B, Krita, VirtualBox, and so many other programs it isn't funny.
                  i'm gnome user and i use vlc. it looks like any other app. maybe because i'm not using broken distro like you?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    i'm gnome user and i use vlc. it looks like any other app. maybe because i'm not using broken distro like you?
                    You missed the point completely. I'm not the one with the broken distro problems. I'm the one without them.

The point was that 144Hz doesn't want to mix UI toolkits for whatever reason, won't even look into programs that try to assist theme issues for that matter...so because VLC is QT based, it can't be used with Gnome.

Me, OTOH, uses whatever toolkit with whatever desktop and I deal with it if something looks out of place. Deal with it means a few minutes of effort in the settings menu, using Kvantum, QT5CT, etc, or I'll straight up ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                      because canonical wasted precious manhours on producing warts and bumps in unity instead of improving gnome 3
                      I agree about Unity. But they shouldn't waste their time with gnome 3.
                      They should switch to MATE or KDE and spend precious manhours on them.
                      And they made a bad decision trying to fix gnome 3 after Unity cancelation.
                      It would be easier for them to switch to Plasma, it doesn't even need a fix.
                      Unity 8 would be a QT based DE anyway.
                      Last edited by olympus; 15 January 2019, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X