No announcement yet.

Intel's IWD Linux Wireless Daemon 0.13 Adds Opportunistic Wireless Encryption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's IWD Linux Wireless Daemon 0.13 Adds Opportunistic Wireless Encryption

Phoronix: Intel's IWD Linux Wireless Daemon 0.13 Adds Opportunistic Wireless Encryption

Intel's promising IWD open-source wireless daemon continues picking up additional functionality in its trek towards potentially replacing wpa_supplicant. Out this week is IWD 0.13...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yes, my laptop is using iwd instead of wpa_supplicant since a while now

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
      Can wpa_supplicant be replaced with this already?
      afaik yes for the most common type of wifi usage.

It still lacks some features for advanced stuff, maybe wifi mesh or niche embedded wifi subset.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael
        Can wpa_supplicant be replaced with this already?
        Been using it for some months, was a good experience, but suffer too many issues, like crashes or disconnections.

I would say works great, NetworkManager supports it, but not recommended for working environment. Had to uninstall it because was interrupting my daily job.

Comment

ConnMan is the preferred front-end I think, but I just use the iwctl utility (and systemd-networkd), and it is tremendously better/easier/faster(/stronger?) than wpa_supp. I actually just switched all my machines over to iwd last week, and now even beer tastes better. :-P

This all started because, since ~4.18 and/or systemd 239, my netbook was failing wpa_supp due to a dependency, but only on the vanilla kernel (archlinux32)...my custom slim+PDS kernel was fine. I finally took the time last week to investigate, and came across iwd; no issues since changing. Looking forward to trying the EAP stuff at work...

Comment

I've been using it for a few weeks now - seems to connect a lot faster than wpa_supplicant.

Only problem is it crashes sometimes, when I suspend and resume, but all I have to do is restart I'd service, so not a hassle for me (but not good for reguluar user).

Works fine for Intel WiFi, don't know how it works for other WiFi cards.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
              I've been using it for a few weeks now - seems to connect a lot faster than wpa_supplicant.

Only problem is it crashes sometimes, when I suspend and resume, but all I have to do is restart I'd service, so not a hassle for me (but not good for reguluar user).

I've been making iwd work on my netbook, no luck though. It uses an atheros card. it works just find with wpa_supplicant though. do you think this can only work with intel cards?
              Edit: solved. wpa_supplicant service was still running... iwd working just fine.
              Last edited by euler271; 17 December 2018, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by euler271 View Post

I've been making iwd work on my netbook, no luck though. It uses an atheros card. it works just find with wpa_supplicant though. do you think this can only work with intel cards?
                Edit: solved. wpa_supplicant service was still running... iwd working just fine.
                You have to stop and disable wpa_supplicant, and also change NetworkManager configuration to use iwd backend.

Thanks for the info, I'll see if I'm able to use on any of my machines with non-Intel cards as well.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
                  It's supposed to be hardware-agnostic just as wpa_supplicant is, as long as the driver does not suck, it should work.

Comment

Working...
                  X