Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 4.20-rc6 Kernel Released - "Looks Fairly Normal"

Phoronix: Linux 4.20-rc6 Kernel Released - "Looks Fairly Normal"

Linus Torvalds has just rolled out the sixth weekly test release of the upcoming Linux 4.20...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

4.20-rc6 and later should provide a fix for the amdgpu bug with DisplayPort 1.2 that caused KWin Wayland session to crash.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Use the AMD wip kernel, as we see, mainline kernels do have a partially implemented amdgpu driver. You are a gamer, xwayland wrapper slows down and causes bugs.
      This bug was everywhere, nothing to do with WIP kernel or not. It was fixed only very recently in the master.

Also, XWayland doesn't slow down anything for me, but it has some issues that differ from regular X. Testing it and reporting bugs should be done by those who need it. Otherwise don't expect them to be ever fixed.

I'm not using Wayland session all the time yet, but I test it periodically to see if it has improved, including for gaming. The main blocker for me now is this nasty bug: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=387313

Performance however isn't an issue.
      Last edited by shmerl; 09 December 2018, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Hmm, so definition for "normal" would be what you expect to see or get.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Keep it simple, then you have less nasty bugs. The Xfce desktop is the best, it is stable, fast, light and freely configurable. When you use gnome3 or kde that are never ready, desktop graphics bug hunting is more difficult.
          That does not solve KDE's problem though.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            That does not solve KDE's problem though.
            GNOME and KDE are beyond salvation.

Comment

I would love to see a debate between GhostOfFunks and debianxfce, should be such productive debate

Comment

Working...
              X