No announcement yet.

The Intel Linux Discrete GPU Driver Updated -- For Their Two Decade Old i740

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This reminds me, it's comical, how we/us Linux users like to position Linux as the best way to make old/ancient computers useful again, but most major distro's have dropped all 32-bit support, as well as PowerPC G3/G4/G5 support(arguably more important than 32bit Intel support, since 32bit PowerPC G4's still perform better than most 32bit Intels from the time. For comparison, Windows 10 still supports 32bit computers(as long as they have more than 1.5GB of RAM, and their CPU supports SSE2, NX, and PAE, most SSE2 CPU's were 64bit anyways, so the only reason to use 32bit would be for those with little RAM).

Anyways, we claim to be the best for old computers, but that hasn't been true for years now.
    If we *really* want to keep old computers useful, we need to create a distro, that's actively updated, with a wide selection of packages, that runs on PowerPC G3/G4/G5 CPU, and 32bit Intel. I would go a step further and add 32bit ARMv6 + ARMv7.

Comment

Originally posted by mzs.112000 View Post
      Anyways, we claim to be the best for old computers, but that hasn't been true for years now.
      If we *really* want to keep old computers useful, we need to create a distro, that's actively updated, with a wide selection of packages, that runs on PowerPC G3/G4/G5 CPU, and 32bit Intel. I would go a step further and add 32bit ARMv6 + ARMv7.
      There already is: https://www.adelielinux.org/

Comment

This reminds me, it's comical, how we/us Linux users like to position Linux as the best way to make old/ancient computers useful again, but most major distro's have dropped all 32-bit support, as well as PowerPC G3/G4/G5 support(arguably more important than 32bit Intel support, since 32bit PowerPC G4's still perform better than most 32bit Intels from the time. For comparison, Windows 10 still supports 32bit computers(as long as they have more than 1.5GB of RAM, and their CPU supports SSE2, NX, and PAE, most SSE2 CPU's were 64bit anyways, so the only reason to use 32bit would be for those with little RAM).

Well, I don't now what you're talking about. The real truth is that there are literally hundreds of linux distributions, some of them are specialized for PPC and some are specialized for i386 even. Gentoo can be built on every single last one of those architectures you mentioned plus many more. Just because a modern day destop linux distribution has dropped support for ancient hardware doesn't mean that support for ancient hardware has been or should be dropped by anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

But nothing is ever unused, if the community is to be believed. Remove as less as 1 character from the code and the community will explode "NO I'M STILL USING IT/I KNOW A COMPANY THAT STILL USES IT/YOU DON'T KNOW IF ANYONE IS STILL USING IT, etc.".
          It's already unused if not installed and loaded. It's not even xserver code. video and input drivers live in different repositories than the Xorg server.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Of course, several more clicks and comments than users of i740 worlwide
            Hold my beer ;-) at least I'm using an S3/Virge and I have several other vintage Matrox, ATi, et al. in my "collection" as occasional seen on my YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hsg1N4IqXac

Comment

yeah, unfortunately there is also some strange AGP / cache coherency or so regression on PPC/ATi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYx9X92iQHM Really hate that more and more things get broken, when things could just work with a little bit more care, and not always deleting "code probably nobody is using anymore", NOT! :-/

Comment

Working...
              X